Possible new interesting feature??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible new interesting feature??

Something that has bin bothering me with CTP for some time are the difficulties of distributing food between cities, like in the real world.

Are there any chance someone could alter that in CTP?
    My suggestion, if possible, is to have a percentage of the total food production of the whole civ to be distributed evenly among all cities. All depending on the government.

What do you think?

It's currently been discussed i think everyone is in favor of it

Comment

To all,

I am currently working on this and will add it to our SLIC mod.

Don
      Don,
      CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

I think it can be done thru Slic, but I'm not sure it's a really big priority right now among our wonderful Slic folk. Great idea, though.
        Existence is Futile.

Comment

This is interesting...but I have looked thru the all SLIC functions and variables again and again, still can't think of a possible way to add food.

Anyone can brighten me up?

Comment

Dreamer,

Yeah, that is one reason why I thought about changing the Mod to 'Utility Mod', instead of 'eSLICs'. The answer doesn't have anything to do with SLIC. There will be a few more which don't have anything to do with SLIC, too. And, we will be adding new units and maybe a wonder or improvement or two. It all depends on how it ends up working the best.

Back to your question. I'll be emailing you guys tomorrow. Er, today. Er, later. How about, after I get some sleep.

Don
            Don,

Comment

Looks like its possible to do it thru SLIC. Here's how it goes.

We can use the build-in Cattle unit to transfer food. Once a cattle unit is builted, we'll deduct a certain amount of food from city.food. Then once the cattle moved into other city and disband there, will add the same amount of food back into city.food].

Anyone want to comment on this?

Comment

I got one question for you: how do you add or substract something from builtin variables? As far as I know that isn't possible. I hope I'm wrong though... Probable one of the major disadvantages of SLIC if you ask me.
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I'll do a trial on this and let you know later.

Comment

I think this would be a great feature. Especially if it could be set up like a trade route so that a needy mountain city can be "fed" by food rich coastal cities each turn. Especially if the player can set the amount of food to send each turn.

Comment

Why do you need SLIC to use Cattle. Just set Cattle to cossume 5 food and give a bonus of 5 food. That way, food is transfered from building city to location of cattle.

Comment

Don, are you reading this? What are your thoughts on this? It's so simple, it might even work... Or not?
                        [This message has been edited by Locutus (edited January 17, 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus on 01-17-2000 10:08 AM
                          Don, are you reading this? What are your thoughts on this? It's so simple, it might even work... Or not?
                          [This message has been edited by Locutus (edited January 17, 2000).]
                          I'd guess not - it will transfer from the civilisation as a whole to the specific city.

(Shield and food hunger is evaluated against the whole civ, I seem to remember.)

------------------
                          Blivets rule!
                          Blivets rule!

Comment

That's an interesting remark, BlivetMaker. We (= the SLIC group) were just discussion by email if food was evaluated for the whole civ or for one city. Skorpion59 suspected food was handled per city, but WesW thought it was a global thing. I thought it was per city as well, but I do seem to recall that the resources for units are handled globally. That's a interesting contradiction, I'll do some testing on this.

Locutus

Comment

Yeah, I'm following this. First, let me say Yes, we can put the cow back in, as is, to give cities food. However, the idea was to have a Food Caravan. Take from one city and give to another. The cow doesn't do this. **The cow doesn't take food from anywhere** It is actually a terrain improvement and thus, as such, only works when it is sitting on a city radius tile. It will not work when it is in a city and it doesn't require food support even if you tell it to in unit.txt.

Second, I did more testing after the last email I sent the group. While a lot of resources are global to CTP, I still say food is not. The global resources on the Civ screen do not correspond to what a city is actually producing. It is a formula of some kind but I don't know where it gets its info from. Food is based on a per city idea. When a city runs out of food, it is out of food and doesn't get any from anywhere else. If it can't get food in some manner, it will dwindle to size 1. Once it reaches size 1, the default food arrangement will start giving it a surplus of 2 food per turn. As long as you don't build a pop remover unit (and any other unit which requires food), the city will start to increase again. (Activision actually thought this one out). The minimum food a city can create is 10, the minimum food a city eats is 8. So a city will always produce enough food to sustain 1 population (even in a total tundra).

I will do more testing to determine where CTP gets the global resources from and then decide on the cow vs food caravan. I'm still thinking about turning it into a crawler(a la SMAC), only it gives the city food if it is in the radius. Pop removal seems to be the only way to make the cow have a negative affect.

------------------
                              Don, Apolyton Junkie

Don,

Comment

Working...
                              X