Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largest Map and Most Civs usable?

I am so blessed!

My sweetheart is returning in about a week or so with my Christmas present, my Brother-In-Law built me a new computer, (hes really smart) and it is an Athlon 2gig processor, 80 gig HD, 512 Ram and 64 bit Radeon Graphics card, with DVD and CD Burner. My question is this..anyone try building a REAL BIG Map with multiple civs..and if so, how did your system handle process all that information?..just asking, so as not wanting to waste time, but I am currently on an Athlon 700 with 384 ram and 64 bit graphics card and have no problems with 210 X 300 map with 8 civs, but I was thinking more in line with maybe 20 + civs....

Thanks for any/all feedback!

Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

First thing I did when I got my new PC was start a CtP2 game with 28 civs on a 400x400 map. That was fun Should work in CtP1 as well (I think it can even handle up to 32 civs without serious bugs)...
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

It can - I have even made a new colors00.txt file, so the radar map can be used to something usefull, playing on big maps.

It can be used to navigation as water is different types of blue, forrests/jungles different of green, desserts yellow (I think I made it so) and so. Some colors are close to each other, but (most of) the nations gets colors different enough to sort one nation from an another.

Well, actually. There are a few colors, where some easily could make mistakes (attacking an "innocent"). So a little more work on it could be needed.
      First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

I made for CTP2 a map that was 16 times bigger then the default gigantic map, I put a lot of civs on it. The result was that the second or third turn needed on my K6 233Mhz half an hour. I also created a 25 timers bigger map and I tried a 100 times bigger map but the last trial crashed by my CTP2 after a certain amount of time, probably when the memory was full. I guess the same thing is also true for CTP1. The only problem is that you need for bigger maps more time then for small maps. But the advantage the bigger the map the more space you have, the more civs can settle on it, the more realistic is the game.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Yeah, my whole "point" is that i am going to slow down the years, have >20 civs and a Big Map...probably (Drool) 400 X 400...I have had issues in past where some civs didnt do anything, but hey, with 20 + things happen, some make it some dont!!

I will have my new Monster.. er..um..Machine ina week or so and will let you folks know how it turns out

I heard my wife say that when they tested out the speed it was awesome, hoping it holds true to this issue as well

Thanks for the response folks!

Troll

Comment

The map.txt file is for use on super-gigantic maps. I might change it
            during the tests I'm making during the next couple of months. But it
            look fine in most situations. Problems still occur when you are playing with BOTH the island/continent and water/land sliders at 30-40%.

Also remeber to change the mapsettings in the const.txt file (some of the latest settings in the file, just replace the values and save the file again) to correspond with the 4 new map sizes.

If some combinations of mapsize and Ocean/Land and Island/Continents
            gives maps totally screwed up, pls mail me or post on the topic.

The colors00.txt file can be replaced in any game. It gives different colors to 32 civs. I have been told, that there still is problems with 2 civs (color nearly the same).
            Attached Files
            First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

And the second file:
              Attached Files

Gandhi

Comment

Ok..got my new Pc and its an Athlon 1800+ (windows XP Professional) with Radeon 7000 Graphics card (64 Bit) 512 Ram 80 Gig HD..now..to get working on my new map!!

Peace..will keep you informed

Troll

Comment

Working...
                X