Invisible Units in PBEM games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invisible Units in PBEM games

I am playing in a PBEM game with some human and some computer opponents. One of the computer opponents is at war with me. His units enter the space I control and the Icon stays in one place and the unit keeps moving. My roads keep getting deleted by units I cannot see. I finally tracked one down and it is not a stealth unit, it was a Mounted Archer. The unit was located one tile outside of one of my cities, the city had units in it that should have been able to see the horse, but the tile appears empty when I look at the map. I found the unit when I tried to move into the tile and a battle started. Is there a patch somewhere I can load to be able to see these units. I am losing a lot of time chasing ghosts!

Originally posted by GeorgeC
    I found the unit when I tried to move into the tile and a battle started. Is there a patch somewhere I can load to be able to see these units. I am losing a lot of time chasing ghosts!
    I never saw this problem in CTP1 only in CTP2 and there only if I open the cheat editor and and set the whole map visible, then there are some AI units that should be on another spot and I have to click on the map to find them. But I never saw this in a reagualr game.

I don't know if there is a patch that could solve your problem but you could download and install the CTP1Hack-Patch v.1.21 it helped me to get rid of another annoying crash ressource.

You find it here on Apolyton in the directory in the CTP1 category.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

These units are not invisible, they are displayed in a wrong tile.

I don't think there is a patch for this bug.

You can try this though:
      scroll the map
      keep scrolling
      look at an AI unit when scrolling
      stop scrolling
      if this unit now suddenly moves to a different position, you have found it's real position
      (that is the position it had when you were scrolling)
      veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

Yeah, this is quite a common problem in PBEM games with computer players. I even have a city like this in one of my games.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I was hoping it was an old problem and had been fixed already

Comment

Re: Invisible Units in PBEM games

Originally posted by GeorgeC
            I am playing in a PBEM game with some human and some computer opponents. One of the computer opponents is at war with me. His units enter the space I control and the Icon stays in one place and the unit keeps moving. My roads keep getting deleted by units I cannot see. I finally tracked one down and it is not a stealth unit, it was a Mounted Archer. The unit was located one tile outside of one of my cities, the city had units in it that should have been able to see the horse, but the tile appears empty when I look at the map. I found the unit when I tried to move into the tile and a battle started. Is there a patch somewhere I can load to be able to see these units. I am losing a lot of time chasing ghosts!
            exactly this problem i had only once. and i couldnt get rid of it until asking the AI to withdraw their units.

another problem i often encounter is that my units move but i dont see them move. also i dont see any new territory they discover.
            the icon stays in one spot and the unit apparently walks somewhere else.
            in this case it always helps to save and reload the game, that is force the program to redraw the screen.

in MP games though you will have problems with it if u are the host, i discovered, since there is no way to redraw the screen without quitting the game. or is there ?
            if so please mail it to mathemagician@gmx.de
            thanks
            Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
            O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

ugh i just had this problem in one of my pbem games, i accidently attacked an AI diplomat that was supposedly 2 tiles away and i moved my unit to be adjacent to it and my unit killed the diplomat so i reloaded it, seeing as it was caused by a bug.
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Working...
              X