CTP Science Available Advances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP Science Available Advances?

Does anybody know or know where to find the algorithm that CTP uses to determine the advances that are made available in the science->change research screen?

Obviously some advances are not there because the pre-requisites have not been reached. But it seems to me that not all of the choices are available. So there must be some other subtle requirement to get some advances to appear in the change research window?
    If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

I think it is random if there are more than a certain number of advances which one of them will appear on the list in the end you will research them all.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

In my experience all those advances which you can research and are allowed by the last thing that you researched are present, and a further (probably random) selection to bring the total up to 4.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
        In my experience all those advances which you can research and are allowed by the last thing that you researched are present, and a further (probably random) selection to bring the total up to 4.
        Odd.. as it may seems, after years and years of playing literally thousands of games, i have seen some weird stuff.

I have actually seen, on a few occasions (sorry no screens shots to confirm! )where for some reason, I was able to have SIX yes 6 choices, and if my memory serves me, it was when I was on a ruins-opening spree, ya'll know what I mean, where you have 20 some units scourying countryside and BAM! one turn you get maybe a 1/2 dozen ruins to open at once!

But for real, most times 4 is all, so maybe some integers or parameters (just learned those 2 words this date!! ) are defined by what you have that particular turn???

I am not sure, but shall check files to see if I can find any further, but if the above two dont know anymore than has been posted, I lay claims to potentially finding no answers either!
        ~Peace~

Troll
        Attached Files
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Troll

I have actually seen, on a few occasions (sorry no screens shots to confirm! )where for some reason, I was able to have SIX yes 6 choices,
          You were probably playing some kind of mod scenario, since I've read something about the fact that a certain mod changes the number of sciences to be researched from 4 to 6. I might be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by M. Darkheart

You were probably playing some kind of mod scenario, since I've read something about the fact that a certain mod changes the number of sciences to be researched from 4 to 6. I might be wrong though.
            Nope, no mod just simply regular old good-fun-luvin CTP!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
              I have actually seen, on a few occasions (sorry no screens shots to confirm! )where for some reason, I was able to have SIX yes 6 choices, and if my memory serves me, it was when I was on a ruins-opening spree, ya'll know what I mean, where you have 20 some units scourying countryside and BAM! one turn you get maybe a 1/2 dozen ruins to open at once!
              Yes, I've seen this too - but shortly after doing tech trades. I think I should revise my statement to "It allows you to choose between all the advances allowed by things you have discovered since your last choice, and then fillsup the rest to 4". If the first part provides more than 4, then you'll get morethan four to choose from. You can also have less than 4 when switching in mid-advance, because it won't fill in the gaps if you discover any of the other choices which were available by other means.

Comment

Are you saying you might get fewer choices if you change your mind?
                If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by checkMate
                  Are you saying you might get fewer choices if you change your mind?
                  Yes if the right circumstances present themselves, not all the time Checkmate but on some occasions!

By the way, looking forward to competing again real soon

Troll
                  Attached Files

Comment

In const.txt, there are the lines:
                    Code:
                    ADVANCE_CHOICES_MIN 4
                    ADVANCE_CHOICES_MAX 6
                    Altering these might provide some clues.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                      In const.txt, there are the lines:
                      Code:
                      ADVANCE_CHOICES_MIN 4
                      ADVANCE_CHOICES_MAX 6
                      Altering these might provide some clues.

Thanks much IW!

I'll maybe use them in my next scenario, (For use strictly for my own enjoyment!!)

Peace

Troll

Comment

In my mod I changed this to
                        Code:
                        ADVANCE_CHOICES_MIN 6
                        ADVANCE_CHOICES_MAX 6
                        And I think I got more than 6 occasionally, but I'm not sure.

On a related note, the game will crash if you give an advance more than 5 consequences (when you try and view it on the science screen), which is quite annoying.

Comment

Too true J. the game unless alltered has a max then in PBEM quarks and in MP crash.

As far as the original question yes it depends on the track you are on and what you have gained so far,
                          “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                          Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                          X