Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a battle

Heres the situation:
    I was playing against 7 AI on the largest map, all land max goods, diversity, wet and warm. By choice I did not build any wonders, you know those one things you can build before the AI that give you all the nice stuff that let you win.
    Ok, so I do my usual, explore, expand, and settle. Researching bronze working first, so I wouldnt be caught off gaurd, I made sure my settlers did walk without a gaurd as soon as I could. As my nation fanned out across rivers, I noticed my land didnt have any mountains mostly jungles, plains, and desert. I built a slaver in as most of my cities to protect against enemy slavers, clerics and later abolitionist. It helped my wuickly take the top 5 cities and keep it througout the game. I held my ground, watching the AI build my population, build a few wonders, and wage war among themselves.
    Once I had research muskets and cannons, I took the offensive. I was next to last with severial more advanced nation next to me. The Jamacians had messed with me since I first ran into them, the Australians were close and the weakest nation. Nigerians were on top. I all but destroyed the Australians, took back all my cities and a few Jamacian towns, and fought back severial Nigerian attacks.
    I was in Communism when I researched took explosives from a conquested city. It was time to fall back, regroup, and build. My production, science, trade, and gold were my key concerns. My war machine had slowed, cities were over-crowding, and I had made it to second on the PG. The Australians allied with me for the second time, they attacked me not 2 turns after our first, but this one would last about 20 till they attacked me again. I waited till I had reched Facism before I would take to the battle fields once more.
    My Facist did their job, ripping through machine gunners and artillarty like a cold knife cutting cold butter, ok a few of them died It didnt matter how much I took though, the Nigerians were still #1 on the PG. It would be until I had tanks till I took that spot.
    While we had one global disaster with flooding from the AIs space launches, I never experience major pollution.
    The AI had started using War Walkers and defending their cities better by the time I had gotten bored with the game. I have since deleted it, regrettfully though, and never finished. I just thought I might like to tell you a short story of a game in which I didnt build wonders, yet still could beat the simplistic AI on Diety level, land map. Has anyone one else tried a simular game?
    So one guy turns to another guy and says "T.A.I." His friends says "What?" He responds by saing "Think about it;)"

Yes I kept mine and still play it from time to time. I also like to allow the AI to get way far ahead so as to have just a war game. I especially like nuke games that is a huge challenge and most games I have played nuke with the AI the world itself dies and the game ends

One game I am playing I have 170%+ ranking with wonders of course. Now that is boring but worth the effort if I can see what 200%+ looks like.

I hope to break the 200% mark as I did in CIV. At 200%+ the game crashes. I have yet to move it past that mark. Within one turn it shuts down, some day I hope to figure out why.
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

Comment

I think my highest score was 197%. I have never seen the AI use a nuke. Is this cause I dont use them? Thats interesting cause I would get nuked to hell and back in civ2.
      So one guy turns to another guy and says "T.A.I." His friends says "What?" He responds by saing "Think about it;)"

Comment

Wow what an advance not bad at all I saw the AI nukes me or themselves one or two times but I agree with you it's rather seldom. Hmm the game is really a little bit boring in the ending stages when it's clear you will be the winner and only one or two enemies left and both of them are very weak. There is just mopping up work left and that's not worth continuing but most of the time I will do it just to see my score wohoo
        Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

Im playing a game at the moment where the ai used nukes but I had warwalkers and it didnt work
          Blessed Be

Comment

Deity level is just too simple. I'm blue. I've not even entered the diamond age I think. I don't know about scores, I haven't started to kill of those last 4 AI players, I guess I'll get a good score after that.
            Attached Files

Comment

I've got a 16 civ game going right now. I lucked out at the beginning and got a put on a small continent all by my lonesome, the the ancient era was spent making settlers like crazy and filling the continent as much as I can. Eventually the Maoris (I use custom designed civs) did settle a city on the western tip, but I conquered that city fairly easily. When I started looking at the rest of the world, I found a gigantic upside-down-U-shaped continent to my west, and I guess to my north east too, on which lived the Israelites, Romans, Carthaginians, Phoenicians, Incas, Maoris, Assyrians and Persians. To my north was a smaller continent where the Navajos lived. To the north of that there's a continent where the Egyptians, Anasazi and Indians live, and to the north of that there's another continent filled with Hittites, Ngadjonji and Inuit. Between those last two continents there's a large island that went uninhabited for a while, but which I eventually settled with a few cities.

I've tried to maintain peace, but if I'm attacked and I've got a sizeable, technologically superior military sitting around doing nothing else, I certainly can't be blamed if the attacker loses most of its territory, especially if they never offer a peace treaty. The Assyrians lost all their cities except 1 (it's a bit removed from the others, and I haven't bothered to take it yet), and the Navajos' continent is almost completely under the control of the Harappan (my) Republic. An Egyptian Ship of the Line took some pot shots at one of my ships and they haven't said sorry yet , and with my conquest of Navajo terriotory landing troops on their territory is now a fairly simple matter.

It's kinda interesting, playing with 16 civs, to play with the largest map possible and not have the large portions of uninhabited territory I usually see.
              "It is not enough that you defeat your enemy. You must show him that he was wrong to oppose you in the first place." --Gul Dukat

Comment

I can only tell you this: If you want to be challenged. Try download and install the Wes medmod 4.13 (can be downloaded here at Apolyton).

Some of you, now beating Deity will no doubt get your as.es roasted.

I know, cause I have tried it several times. You can win - but you have to fight for it.

I have even been attacked AT THE SAME TIME from sea, air and land by an AI - not an invasion from sea, the AI was "only" using plasmadestroyers - but that looked like a coordinated attack!

The seaborn invasion is a thing the AI can't handle, same as the AI can't use the carriers the right way either. But those things can't be blamed upon the modmakers.
                First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

I think I have version 4.0 but I have done some modification to some governments and to const.txt. Is it easy to update this version without overwriting govern.txt or const.txt?

Comment

You could try simply not unzipping those files, or unzipping them under a different name and then comparing them to your modified versions. I doubt anything significant enough to cause crashes changed between those versions, but it may have (if, for instance, a new govt. was added).

Comment

In the early releases, the AI wasn't able to change government to CM. That should be fixed in the ****lastest**** release here at Apolyton (Wes homepage).
                      First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by M. Darkheart
                        I think I have version 4.0 but I have done some modification to some governments and to const.txt. Is it easy to update this version without overwriting govern.txt or const.txt?
                        You could confirm every single overwriting question of WinZip, but more elegant would be to enable the write protection of the files that shouldn't be overwritten.

And of course compare those files within the *.zip file and on your hard drive.

-Martin
                        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

geoffrey arnold sounds good keep it going the longer you abstain from getting nukes the better the game gets. Sounds odd but it can be a great challenge...

:0)
                          “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                          Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                          X