City Clock a waste of production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Clock a waste of production

Does anyone else think city clock is a completly worthless?

When you invent it (mechanical clock), many of your cities should be around size 6 - 12, or more like 12 - 16 if you are doing a lot of slaving. With only 1 gold per citizen, it's pathetic! Your valuable production is much better spent on trade routes, that can provide 10 - 40 gold per turn in even small cities!!

Does anyone know of any reason to build city clocks???

City clocks are pretty stupid. Invest that production into soe of the renaissance wonders, like Emancipation Act.

Comment

Heh I can think of a reason to build them yes....

When your production reaches the point where CC only cost 1-2 turns build them. Gold=science sound reasoning
      plus the fact the next thing to get gold is T.V.'s and a wonder can waste that idea real quick.

So for an unlimited time CC will produce gold in every city and continue to grow bar none.

Now at any given game look at the gold produced in each city...AHHHHH see what I mean?
      “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
      Or do we?

Comment

Actually, thinking back on it, an average empire at that stage is 12 cities, and the population is 4. 12 x 4 = 48 gold, 24 goes into science. Well put Pete

Comment

It really depends upon the size of the city. In a city of less than 5 people, the money it produces won't even cover the maintenance costs. In city of, say, 30, that clock is giving you 50 gold after the maintenance cost. If you've got a super-humungous city with a triple-digit population, then for heaven's sakes get a clock in there!
          "It is not enough that you defeat your enemy. You must show him that he was wrong to oppose you in the first place." --Gul Dukat

Comment

Don't forget that the market, bank and airport increase the gold from the clock. With all of them it's 2.5 gold per pop, which is better.

Comment

Good points John

In a city of less than 5 people, the money it produces won't even cover the maintenance costs

Maintenence cost is 5 gold, so anything above 5 city size increases gold yes.
              “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
              Or do we?

Comment

Working...
              X