Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geeetting NON-River,water-source available cities to grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geeetting NON-River,water-source available cities to grow?

I understand to get a city to grow, place farmland improvements on tiles but what if a water source such as a river or ocean is unavailable, what could you do then?..I mean, Mines allow some food but what other ways could you make this happen?..I also dont want to hack files, I am referring to standard default game rules!

Thanks Much!

Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Some general tips for the farmhand:

Very early in the game, it's simple. If you're not near any grassland near a water source or near a decent amount of shallow water tiles, don't bother building a city. I wouldn't recommend setting up cities where there is no water source available until at least the late ancient era.

As with many things in the game, the more advanced you are technologically, the more options you have. As you progress in the game, you'll be able to clear away forest and jungle, and eventually drain swampland. Later you'll be able to thaw out tundra and even move mountains (literally!). Remember to never terraform a tile with a good on it--you'll lose the good.

Remember the rule about where you can put farms: they can be put on grassland, plains or desert that is next to a water tile or a tile with a river...or another farm. Sometimes you'll have to put a farm in a tile that can't possibly be worked on in order to be able to put a farm in the tile where you need one. I've strung several farms together for that purpose before. Also, if you have to put a farm on a tile where it will never be worked on, make sure it's a cheapie.
    "It is not enough that you defeat your enemy. You must show him that he was wrong to oppose you in the first place." --Gul Dukat

Comment

Ok, thanks!

I seen where some folks make a network of Farm tiles, much like a road system..I guess thats the only option, still..when you have 4 goods in the forest or even 3 goods and a mountain range, VERY hard to let it be!!

Thanks!!

Troll

Comment

later in the game you will be able to build city improvements that boost food production, that is if the city survives that long.
        “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
        Or do we?

Comment

In some of the world maps I have that problem. I justfind the nearest coastline ASAP. Never build your first city outside a forest/jungle/grass(or plains) next to sea, or your dead Especially when a nebouring civ has drums rolling ove those deserts towards you...

Comment

..Oh..yeah..Im a Geezer-type..child of the '50's..yaknow the kind..belley over-da belt well..anyway..I saw this movie back in the 1970's..JAWS!! and since then..I really dont like the water!! so i have mostly aggravating land maps..lots of exploring, lots of ruins..but yeah, oceans are too kewl for growth and gold!

~Peace!~
            Attached Files

Comment

Troll, in multiplayer, a sneaky way to play the game is stay far away from the sea as possible, and pollute tons. Then, all your enemies cities will flood, leaving the door open to invasion.

Comment

Originally posted by redbull
                Troll, in multiplayer, a sneaky way to play the game is stay far away from the sea as possible, and pollute tons. Then, all your enemies cities will flood, leaving the door open to invasion.
                Well,REDBULL in my games, I enjoy CLEAN & GREEN!! Pollution FREE so as I am sure to get RE-ELECTED!! as my country's leader!!

Comment

Working...
                X