Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of starting AI's, some dont do anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of starting AI's, some dont do anything?

I have been tweaking game files, and as a result, the unspeakable has happened.

I launch a game say with 3 civs, and 1 will just sit there..not do anything, the other two will.

I started a game with 5 and only 1 did anything, I had a map size of 260 X 520.

I changed to 220 X 440 and started with 3 civs and 2 of the three did fine, but the 3rd just sat there. I went to editor and gave them 7 additional settlers and all they did was stand there???

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Ok..I reduced map size a bit, monitored a couple ai's, all they did was wander.

Then I reduced the map size to 180 X 360 and had 6 total civs, (me and 5 ai)

4 of the ai are kicking me buttocks in producing cities, I had set them to start with 4 units and 8 advances.

The first two listed below me doing great! the middle (English) nothing and the last two listed are also doing great!

I am kinda confused why this map be happening?

Troll

Comment

That is peculiar... Have you noticed any correlation between activity and the terrain on which they start? You might also try increasing the time allocated to the AI in const.txt but I doubt that will help if they're just doing nothing... What kind of files had you recently changed?

Comment

Was this after changing the Nice Radius?
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Yes..I think I just got drunk with Power!!( dont consume alcohol, but it seems power-hungry desire to be like you two got me in over my scenario-buzzed head!)

I am gonna remove that and try the default nice_radius..maybe that wasnt file to switch, to make them start further away!

I'll keep you posted!

Troll

Comment

Well, I checked and I ad switched back to the default 10 on Nice_radius.
            Here is what i have trouble shot and whats the result:

I replaced Const.txt with a fresh default file.

I started by switching the map size for the Gigantic Map which is only one I am "tweaking"
            I had NO PROBLEMS WITH THE FOLLOWING MAP SIZES:

300 X 600= 1 of the 8 ai's built one city..the number 5 spot, which was Japansese, in 20 turns, rest either stayed still or wandered.

120 X 240= 8 ai's work quick and effective!

160 X 320= 8 ai's work quick and effective!

180 X 360= 8 ai's, this is what I saw starting with me and working down list:

#1-me.I put on sleep so i could just monitor the other civs.

#2-never could find them on my map, but they were listed, could not find any activity, either on graph, map, or by a top city. Strange..

#3-doing great from start

#4-doing great from start

#5-doing great from start

#6-as of turn 51 they were just wandering, but I started all ai's out with 4 units and this civ sent two settlers north and 2 settlers south, roamed the whole time???

#7-doing great from start

#8-started at turn 28 building then did fine, but of course was pretty far behind on PG.

This is strange..any suggestions why the ai would simply get weird due to map size???

Hmm....just asking, as I had hoped to do a REALLY BIG MAP....but with this not likely?

Troll

Comment

Just for my owns sake, I went to a regular single player game, all default files, with exception of map size in const.txt and tried a 500 X 1000 and 8 ai's thru 12 turns, I was only one to build a city, so I guess thats out, no problems loading game, I have an athlon 700 256 ram 32 bit graphics, so my pc should be able to handle and it did, but nothing on ai side with default files??

Oh well, Ill keep searching, just wanted a bigger map than 160 X 320...I shall try and edit and try..edit and try..

Troll

Comment

Ok..I tried a 170 X 400 with my scenario, for some reason i could not find the 8th civ on the map, but all other were ok, except spot #5 which was wandering through turn 20..strange..but I shall keep working on this..

Troll

Comment

If you're using a really big map I would certainly recommend that you increase the time allocation to the AI players That's in const.txt:
                  AI_GOAL_TIME_SLICE 25 # time in milliseconds for an AI frame
                  AI_MAX_TIME_SLICE 250 # (in milliseconds)if the ai exceeds this time its turn is ended
                  AI_TOTAL_TIME_SLICE 3000 # (in milliseconds) if the total time in time in the ai player exceeds this its turn is ended

Try increasing them all by a factor of 10 or something. I've no idea if this will help, but a large map may make them need more time because pathfinding and such goes slower, and there's more overhead for the graphics, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
                    If you're using a really big map I would certainly recommend that you increase the time allocation to the AI players That's in const.txt:
                    AI_MAX_TIME_SLICE 250 # (in milliseconds)if the ai exceeds this time its turn is ended
                    AI_TOTAL_TIME_SLICE 3000 # (in milliseconds) if the total time in time in the ai player exceeds this its turn is ended

Try increasing them all by a factor of 10 or something. I've no idea if this will help, but a large map may make them need more time because pathfinding and such goes slower, and there's more overhead for the graphics, etc.
                    I'll give it a whirl my friend!!

Thanks much for feedback!

Troll

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway

I tried it and no good, I monitored the orange and they just kep walking about, past primo land, forest,river and beaver!

I'll keep tweaking and see ifin I can find something, or try ideas!

Thanks

Troll

Comment

what level are you playing on? Maybe the AI is giving you a head start?
                        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                          what level are you playing on? Maybe the AI is giving you a head start?
                          Boy..that word sure got around fast.. first Faded Glory-hole whoops me then Gavrushska spanks-da-heinie now the dad-burn-AI is out 2 feel sorry fer me.. well..I'll take the help then Ok..I am gonna have to build up my Leviathan army and hunker down!

But seriously, I am on Diety and I have now 114 cities, completely surrounding orange and well...after I get built up.. you know the deal...!!

Troll

Comment

Working...
                          X