File to start civ's further apart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File to start civ's further apart?

What file should I alter in order to get civ's to start further apart?

I saw in const.txt where it has some values,

NICE_RADIUS 10 # radius of effect when calculating niceness of player placement
    # the mininum start distance between players is 2 * NICE_RADIUS

Is this the only file I could alter, to increase space between starting civs?..so two dont end up on top of each other after 12 turns or so?

Thanks

Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

I believe that is indeed the only place where this kind of thing could be set. Note that const.txt is an annoying file because it will always be read from the ctp_data directory, not the scenario directory.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
      I believe that is indeed the only place where this kind of thing could be set. Note that const.txt is an annoying file because it will always be read from the ctp_data directory, not the scenario directory.
      So I have to go and make a "copy" of const.txt to plug in and out whenever I switch between my default and scenario files?
      There shouldnt be any reason I cant just place that in MY DOCUMENTS or BRIEFCASE BACKUP and just remove whenever I am p[laying either scenario or MP..

~sigh~

Ok..thanks much!

Troll
      Last edited by Grandpa Troll; May 26, 2002, 08:39.

Comment

I've found that the easiest way to cope is to make copies of const.txt with different names and then edit gamefile.txt so that it points to the relevant version. That saves you copying files around and it makes it obvious which version the thing is set to at the moment.

Comment

I've found that the easiest way to cope is to make copies of const.txt with different names and then edit gamefile.txt so that it points to the relevant version. That saves you copying files around and it makes it obvious which version the thing is set to at the moment.
          Hmm...(prodding J Bytheway fer some guideance)

Ok..I opened gamefile.txt..saw where it had the various gamefile (like I couldnt figure that out.. )..now what do i do..change the SCENARIO file with a gamefile or the DEFAULT file, then, what would i do, say name CONST.TXT something else..say CONST01.txt??? and would it pick it up?

Thanks fer MORE HELP to my otherwise UNSCHOLARED,INEXPERIENCED self

I see I have so much to learn Obi Wan!

Yours In Scenario School

Troll

Comment

I'm not absolutely sure what you're saying, but what I do is create a copy (e.g. constma.txt for my MarsMod) in the ctp_data\default\gamedata\ directory, and edit the gamefile.txt there appropriately. You can't use a copy of gamefile.txt in the scenario directory (which I think might be what you were suggesting) because, like const.txt, it will be ignored in favour of that in ctp_data.

Another handy file to note for similar tricks is civpaths.txt (in ctp_program\ctp\) through which you can make your own AI files without having to modify the originals, etc.

After a while you'll get used to which files will register in the scenario directory and which won't. Basically, the only notable ones which won't are gamefile.txt, const.txt and the AI files. There's also the uidata files but you probably won't be changing those...

Comment

I'm not absolutely sure what you're saying, but what I do is create a copy (e.g. constma.txt for my MarsMod) in the ctp_data\default\gamedata\ directory, and edit the gamefile.txt there appropriately. You can't use a copy of gamefile.txt in the scenario directory (which I think might be what you were suggesting) because, like const.txt, it will be ignored in favour of that in ctp_data.

Another handy file to note for similar tricks is civpaths.txt (in ctp_program\ctp\) through which you can make your own AI files without having to modify the originals, etc.

After a while you'll get used to which files will register in the scenario directory and which won't. Basically, the only notable ones which won't are gamefile.txt, const.txt and the AI files. There's also the uidata files but you probably won't be changing those...
              Ok, you answered "Exactly" what i was inquiring about, sorry for not being clear

Ok, I got to const.tx, change it to say constmo.txt(for my "Modernized" scenario where you cant build military units until modern, only phalanx w/o attack values to defend against barbs)

Next I got to gamefile.txt and add an entry "constmo.txt

I think this is what you are saying to do?
              I am a "brickhead" sometimes

I try not to be though, excuse me, kinda like when i first was learning the computer 4-5 years ago, I was told that The computerDoes what you tell it to do, not .... what you want it to do!!

Ok..I shall try this and then let you knwo how it works!!

Thanks again for your time and efforts!!

Troll

Comment

You don't add an entry in gamefile.txt, you change the existing one.

Comment

You don't add an entry in gamefile.txt, you change the existing one.
                  Will that then allow me to say play an MP game, and then later launch a scenario w/o any changing files?

Thanks

I guess what I am asking is by say changing to gamefilemo.txt (my choice ) then I play my "Modernized" scenario, ok..now..I decide to play an online game with the great Faded Glory, will the game now read the "default" files or is there something else I need to do?

Ok..thanks for all the help!!

Comment

No, you must always change the normal version of gamefile.txt - it will never read another like gamefilemo.txt. How would it know what to read? The name "gamefile.txt" is hard-coded. You will have to edit it whenever switching between different game styles. Possibly it might be handy to add a shortcut to it on the desktop (assuming you're running Windows) or something so you can always get at it easily.

Comment

Or Even better: Make a simple batch file to replace the current gamefile.txt with yours and vice versa.

Something Simple like

ChangeGFNorm.bat:
                      C:\
                      Cd CTP
                      Del gamefile.txt
                      Copy gamefileNorm.txt C:\CTP\gamefile.txt

Something easy like that, where gamefileNorm.txt is jsut a copy of the normal gamefile.txt. Put the batch file in an easy toaccess place like the desktop or start menu (assuming your using evil windows of course) and you can just run it whenever you need to switch types. (You'd need 2 batch files of course, 1 for custom and one for normal)
                      If this is completely over your head you might just wanna edit it manually each time.

Comment

Indeed... Though you needn't delete the old version, you can just copy over it (IIRC copy doesn't ask for overwrite confirmation when called from a batch file).

Comment

Working...
                        X