Civil War Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Scenario

I am starting the work on a Civil War Scenario.

At the present time, I am considering the following units to be available for entire game:

Pikemen
    Musketeer
    Cannon
    Calvary
    Knight

Improvements:

Mills
    Granaries
    Aqueduct
    Marketplace
    Temple
    Banks

Wonders:

Labrynth
    Stonehenge
    Sphinx

I am toying with other improvements/units/wonders.

I am NOT an Historian, however, I am open to any/all suggestions?

I am not at all/in the least/in my mind/ a VETERAN Scenario Maker, I am however the proud owner of TWO (2) Copies of CTP, in case one breaks I have another backup copy. What this does is give me the power and right to try and make some fun scenarios!!

Yours In Civin

Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

UGH!
    ARGH!

The pitfalls and trials and tribulations of Scenario Making!
    Ok

Here is what I am up to.

I am trying to Exlcude all units with exception of:

Phalanx
    Legion
    Knight
    Calvary
    Pikemen
    Musketeer
    Cannon
    Settler
    Caravan

I dont think anymore, but I have tried several attempts, all crashing to desktop.

I am however up to the point where I figured that for each unit I delete, I need to change the total unit numbers from the default #73 to the number I remove, if that the way i should be going?

I am going to keep going, I will try to add "CANT_BUILD" and delete all undesirables.

I played with the Wonders, and somehow I came up with all wonders available at ancient??
    STRANGE!

I thin it was because of making NULL as an advance enabling that wonder. I will try to add a line "CANT_BUILD"

Not sure if that will work or not?

I shall keep you posted!

Troll "the lost-one"

Comment

Hey Troll, dont forget to try to add an ironclad. I have never modded the game before but I think Im gonna learn.
      So one guy turns to another guy and says "T.A.I." His friends says "What?" He responds by saing "Think about it;)"

Comment

I am at an "Impasse" and will start a fresh this evening, on how to avoid certain wonders, I could allways make them enabled at Alien acholigies (whew! blew that thar spelling ) but I dont want them period, or at least not all, but tried to put a flag in "CANT_BUILD" as you use for units, but it crashed to desktop with an error, I previously tried to make NULL for enabling as this works for obsolesence but then they were all available at start of game, Ancient age no less!!

I am still gonna toy with things and will keep all informed,

Hi Ho Hi Ho Its off scenariong I go..

Yours In Civin-Scenario Hell..er..um..Heaven

Troll

Comment

Hmmm..I started out this afternoon, placing flags....."CANT_BUILD" in all units I didnt want, and started game, with of course warrior excluded, no probelms, discovered Bronze working, built 3 phalanx, discovered Religion was working on Theocracy when game crashed?/

Now I am using basically same setup in my first scenario, with all stealth units excluded and a few more, no problems at all

I recieve NO error messages when it crashes to desktop, just have small fonts and screen is messed up, but re-boot and will try again

I havent even tried to change any advances as of yet!

If anyone knows, is it possible to have a phalanx, a legion, a pikemen and a musketeer all at once?

I could change to obsolete advance to null?

I also was looking for Knights and Calvary at same time too!

Keep ideas a coming, as I'll try anything as I am a novice not a pro,

Thanks

Yours in Civin

Troll

Comment

Great to see someone is actually modding CtP1 again

Well, just removing something altogether should work. You should indeed change the number at the top of the file as well, to reflect the number of entries in a file, and be aware of the fact that many things appears in multiple places in the files. In case of units: units.txt, uniticon.txt, spriteID.txt, gl_str.txt, AI files, Great Library, etc.

If that gives you problems, a little trick from CtP2 that might work in CtP1 as well: if you give an advance itself as prerequisite, it will be impossible to research. So if you make Subneural Ad a prerequite of Subneural Ad, noone can research it and everything that has Subneural add as enabling advance will be unbuildable
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
              Hmmm..I started out this afternoon, placing flags....."CANT_BUILD" in all units I didnt want, and started game, with of course warrior excluded, no probelms, discovered Bronze working, built 3 phalanx, discovered Religion was working on Theocracy when game crashed?/
              When did the crash occur? During your turn or during the turn of one of the AIs? Did you change anything else, besides units.txt?

If anyone knows, is it possible to have a phalanx, a legion, a pikemen and a musketeer all at once?

I could change to obsolete advance to null?
              That should both be perfectly possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                Great to see someone is actually modding CtP1 again

Well, just removing something altogether should work. You should indeed change the number at the top of the file as well, to reflect the number of entries in a file, and be aware of the fact that many things appears in multiple places in the files. In case of units: units.txt, uniticon.txt, spriteID.txt, gl_str.txt, AI files, Great Library, etc.

If that gives you problems, a little trick from CtP2 that might work in CtP1 as well: if you give an advance itself as prerequisite, it will be impossible to research. So if you make Subneural Ad a prerequite of Subneural Ad, noone can research it and everything that has Subneural add as enabling advance will be unbuildable
                Thanks my friend, and Omnigod is surely safe with my meager modding attempts!!

Ill try the trick of the enabling research with its own advance.
                I shall get back with you my friend!

Yours In Civin-Scenario Study Hall!
                Troll

Comment

Ok,, I found out thru process of elimination what was causing desktop crash, it was some modification to me improve.txt file.

As for the enabling/obsolete advance trick from CTP:2, it was working fine.

Then I did some further trials, where I tried to make it so only a few units were available, now it has an error message so I shall back it up to find what it is I fricked up..ugh!..but at least I now know what will work!

Man, this whole modding is kewl, but so time consuming!

I sure wouldnt want to have to make a game from scratch to do that must take a lot of tedious patience and tons of trial and error!

Hey, then I'd be one of them famous people that folks attack in the forums!!

But seriously, Im gonna whoop this and then learn how to make units or at very least import units and such!

Yours In the Civin-Scenario-Ditch!

Troll

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                    Ok,, I found out thru process of elimination what was causing desktop crash, it was some modification to me improve.txt file.
                    Yeah, that's what I suspected...

As for the enabling/obsolete advance trick from CTP:2, it was working fine.
                    That's great, something to remember

Then I did some further trials, where I tried to make it so only a few units were available, now it has an error message so I shall back it up to find what it is I fricked up..ugh!..but at least I now know what will work!
                    Well, keep us informed, we'll gladly try to help out if you run into problems...

Man, this whole modding is kewl, but so time consuming!
                    Yeah, it is, isn't it? Don't worry, it's go much faster as you get more experienced...

I sure wouldnt want to have to make a game from scratch to do that must take a lot of tedious patience and tons of trial and error!
                    You DON'T want to know, believe me

But seriously, Im gonna whoop this and then learn how to make units or at very least import units and such!
                    Keep us informed, can't wait to see the final results...

Comment

A little late maybe.

But if you want to make such a scenario, I suggest you use Wes' Medival mod as "master" and then remove (i.e. CANT BUILD for units) you do not want to use.

To rush through early advances: Use a very-very low value for the ADVANCE_COST fx. 1. To slow down later, use a very-very high value for the ADVANCE_COST fx. 500.000 FOR ALL LATE ADVANCES.

Same for improvements (IMPROVEMENT_PRODUCTION_COST), installations (PRODUCTION_COST) and wonders (SHIELD_COST).
                      First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by TheBirdMan
                        A little late maybe.

But if you want to make such a scenario, I suggest you use Wes' Medival mod as "master" and then remove (i.e. CANT BUILD for units) you do not want to use.

To rush through early advances: Use a very-very low value for the ADVANCE_COST fx. 1. To slow down later, use a very-very high value for the ADVANCE_COST fx. 500.000 FOR ALL LATE ADVANCES.

Same for improvements (IMPROVEMENT_PRODUCTION_COST), installations (PRODUCTION_COST) and wonders (SHIELD_COST).
                        Thanks!

What I might do is "look" into his mod contents, but I am kinda, maybe self-pride or determination or something else but I am gonna try this from scratch, no learnin -thru-school- modding/scenario-tricks, just good old fashioned learn from ground up!

Thanks for the idea for a basis!

Troll

Comment

Nah, if you're working off of Wes's mod, you still have to make all the changes yourself so you'll still learn a lot. The upside of using the MedMod as basis is that you'll have a much stronger AI for your scenarios (completely redoing the AI the way Wes and co did it will take you years)...

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                            Nah, if you're working off of Wes's mod, you still have to make all the changes yourself so you'll still learn a lot. The upside of using the MedMod as basis is that you'll have a much stronger AI for your scenarios (completely redoing the AI the way Wes and co did it will take you years)...
                            Ummm..like I have allways said in all my games, from this, which is my favorite to AoE:The Conquerors as well as Rogue Spear Series and SWAT3 Series, I love modding, I do sometimes see folks get really Ticked off when someone uses there mod they worked so hard at, do you think he would mind If I applied my tweeks I want for little ole Troll's personal pleasure, or do you think he would go off on me for using it?

Just asking, dont want no Solver-Hall trips or worse yet, a permanent leave - of- absence to Ming-A-Pulco!!

Thanks!

Troll

Comment

I can garantee you Wes would be absolutely delighted to see someone take his mod and use it as basis for a new mod or scenario In fact, when you're done you should definitely send Wes an email, if I know Wes (and after working together with him for 2 1/2 years, I think I know him pretty well ) he would love to see what you did with his mod.

Comment

Working...
                              X