Scenario-editing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario-editing questions

I have finally found out to make a scenario and I am off and running!

I have Two questions I need help with

1) I tried to go into unit.txt and make all units unable to either pillage or pirate, but it crashed upon loading. Is it possible to stop pirating/pillaging?

2) Is it possible in a scenario to start at a certain age? In Multiplayer you can pick an age and go from there.

On a positive notte, I did figure out how to make wonders good for more than normal age and thats super kewl!

Yours In Civin

Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Re: Scenario-editing questions

Hi Troll,
    1) I tried to go into unit.txt and make all units unable to either pillage or pirate, but it crashed upon loading. Is it possible to stop pirating/pillaging?
    It should be. Were there any messages or just a flat-out crash?
    I think possibly you took out one too many things in the file, or something. A posted file would help, 'cos I don't see why you shouldn't make them unable to pillage and pirate.
    2) Is it possible in a scenario to start at a certain age? In Multiplayer you can pick an age and go from there.
    The best way would be to hack everything out of advances.txt after the era you want, and change DiffDB.txt so that the advances you start with are more modern ones. You'd then have to scour all the other files for advance mentions, and change them to the ones you plan to include. Its a long job, but thats the only way, unless you start every game as a 1 player MP game.

-IW
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Thanks much, and I dont think Ill take the time to take out advances to start a game in Renaissance era!

As for the other, perhaps I did just that, add or delete one too many item!!

Comment

Re: Re: Scenario-editing questions

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
        Hi Troll,

It should be. Were there any messages or just a flat-out crash?
        I think possibly you took out one too many things in the file, or something. A posted file would help, 'cos I don't see why you shouldn't make them unable to pillage and pirate.

The best way would be to hack everything out of advances.txt after the era you want, and change DiffDB.txt so that the advances you start with are more modern ones. You'd then have to scour all the other files for advance mentions, and change them to the ones you plan to include. Its a long job, but thats the only way, unless you start every game as a 1 player MP game.

-IW
        Ok, I went back to units.txt and tried again, this is the first error message when I launched, it crashed to desktop. The following error ocurred

"units.txt line 490:ERROR"

and under that this message:

CANT_PILLAGE is not a unit flag

All I did was go to units.txt and where it said

CAN_BUILD
        CAN_PILLAGE

I simply added a "T" like other definitions that read the same.

Hope you can trouble shoot?

In meantime, I am going to try to find this line, delete and maybe its that one only?

Yours In Civin

Troll

Comment

Ok,

I removed all "CANT_PILLAGE"

then game crashed with a similiar error, this one line 492 "CANT_PIRATE" is not a unit flag.

But I did however succesfully delete from options those Ugly, Invisible Stealth Units.

I dont play them online and I dont want them within my scenarios!

It took all the units I labeled "CANT_BUILD" and that was a flag I put in, funny, others didnt work??

Oh well, any help would be appreciated!

Yours In Civin

Troll

Comment

CANT_BUILD is a flag, CANT_PIRATE and CANT_PILLAGE are not, if you wish to remove that ability, just delete the flag entirely.

ie. Find the unit you wish to remove the ability, and delete the line CAN_PILLAGE and CAN_PIRATE.

"I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

U R DA MAN!!!!
              Thanks much my friend!
              And this is so kewl, being able to build ascenario!

Kinda like walking, u crawl, fall on face, walk, fall on face, then someone like you comes along and assists, so now I can walk...soon..to fall on face!!
              Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
              CANT_BUILD is a flag, CANT_PIRATE and CANT_PILLAGE are not, if you wish to remove that ability, just delete the flag entirely.

ie. Find the unit you wish to remove the ability, and delete the line CAN_PILLAGE and CAN_PIRATE.

Comment

All is working Great!! Now I can move forward, being able to handle some basics!!

Thanks so much my friend!!

Yours In Civin

Troll

Comment

no problem

Comment

I had a problem when this evening I went to reload a saved game!

I loaded it and BAM!! I started getting pirated!!

I played around and around but still no stopping pirating!

First, lets look at the proper way to save a scenario, go to cheat mode, click "Save scenario as" and put in EXACT NAME of your scenario, default first is MyFirstScenario, and save then, the saved game will be highlighted green. Also, once you save it the first time, the name of your scenario will be stored there.

Now I finally figured out a way to load a saved scenario game, because you cant just go to "loadgame" in startup screen. What you have to do is go to :

1) Single Player
                    2) New Game
                    3) Scenario
                    4) MyFirstScenario>>>>>>>>>>>>

5) Then Launch Editor and you get a single settler new game, simply go to :

A) options screen
                    B) Load Game
                    C) Find saved game load it, just click "close" and then "close" again when prompted to load a civilization and it will load the game you had with all the settings you have stored in default.txt rules!

I am just sharing this in case anyone else has had a problem with this!

Yours In Civin

Troll
                    Last edited by Grandpa Troll; April 8, 2002, 21:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                      I had a problem when this evening I went to reload a saved game!

I loaded it and BAM!! I started getting pirated!!

I played around and around but still no stopping pirating!
                      Yeah, that's a wierd bug that no-one has sorted out. Its very strange...

I am just sharing this in case anyone else has had a problem with this!
                      Yep, its a pain, but you have to load the rules first.

Comment

Working...
                      X