Help. No multiplayer with Cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. No multiplayer with Cable?

A few weeks ago our service provider (we have cable) switched our modems to get us a faster connection. Instead of behaving like a dial-in modem, this modem behaves like a second LAN connection. Since we installed the new modem we have a much faster connection but we are no longer able to play CTP on-line.

When starting multiplayer and selecting Internet we get a message form CTP saying that we first have to dial in.

Can anybody please help us out with this? How do I tell CTP that for the Internet connection it should not search for a dial-in connection but should use the second LAN connection instead?
    Franses (like Ramses).

reinstall the game
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

Comment

Very helpful Blackice!!

The problem is not with CTP is it.... So the problem to solve is how to make the Connection behave (to ctp) like it is an internet connection! And I aint got the foggiest idea how you can do that... Just out of interest, does it work on your LAN for Multiplay? Or does it get confused because both the dial up and Lan behave similarly... I don't think there are any technically minded people that will be of any great help in this somehow!
      He's back after a fashion...

Comment

Thank you guys for your interest (even though it did not help yet).

Yes, Gavrushka. We can play a multiplayer game on our own LAN. No problem.

I expect more people to have the same problem because the solution of my provider is not unique. I just hope someone solved it. For the time being we are out of the on-line game. We miss you guys.
        Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

I am serious when I went from dial up to lan I had to reinstall the game... I got online on my cable then launched it all was cool then
          “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
          Or do we?

Comment

Blackice has a good point indeed. I'm no MP expert but if you get an in-game error message, reinstalling the game could very well help you get rid of it. At the very least it's worth a shot...
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
              I am serious when I went from dial up to lan I had to reinstall the game... I got online on my cable then launched it all was cool then
              Apologies no direspect intended , ya big Canadian dog doodie!

It would be great to get Franses and Darth back online, the Servers are a bit empty without them!
              He's back after a fashion...

Comment

OK, I will give it a try during the weekend. I would be surprised if it worked though because the game was installed after the installation of the new modem but who knows? If it worked for Blackice it might work here to.

Thanks again. You will hear the result.
                Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

Hmm, that's odd. Did you remove all the software of the old modem and the dial-up connections and stuff? I recently switched from ISDN to cable myself and initially had quite some difficulties with IE, it still tried to use dial-up as well. A combination of removing all the old modem and dial-up stuff and reinstalling IE solved the problem IIRC.
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Definately a must do remove it all as far as dial up goes. Ctp will not adjust itself until that and a reload.
                    Or do we?

Comment

I did install Windows-XP from scratch (after formatting the disk) and then installed the new modem so their should not be any dial-up remnants and only then CTP.

Anyway from what I read here it should work. At least this gives me hope.

BTW: did not yet reinstall CTP since I am at work now (LOL). Will reinstall in the weekend.
                      Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

Found some time to reinstall CTP. Unfortunately I have to report you that this did not help. CTP still comes with a message saying: "You need to dial up before...."
                        Franses (like Ramses).

Comment

Originally posted by Franses
                          Found some time to reinstall CTP. Unfortunately I have to report you that this did not help. CTP still comes with a message saying: "You need to dial up before...."

Your CPU has a dial-up modem. Disable it...see what happens..it may be CTP reading its default.

Comment

In fact you are right most os will do that over time especially with changes such as this one. Remove it reinstall game launch then install it dial up again. Other than that is is XP...
                            Or do we?

Comment

Your CPU has a dial-up modem. Disable it...see what happens..it may be CTP reading its default.
                              How would we do that?
                              Ash nazg dubratuluk
                              ash nazg gimbatul
                              ash nazg trakutaluk
                              agh burmuz-ishi krimpatul

Comment

Working...
                              X