lisening posts, radar and other detection methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lisening posts, radar and other detection methods

I am relatively new to ctp, but I am in the modern age and I want to know about listening posts, radar and any other detection methods to put on my map to keep the enemy out. Any advice please.
    james

Listening posts push back the fog of war 10 tiles. Radar stations help detect aircraft from a distance (check the library for exact details). And the sonar helps to pick up submarines and gives limited sight (two tiles I think). Though all of these help maintain surveillance on and around your territory, none of them actually help to keep out enemy units.

I like using them because I don't like surprises and I don't want to find enemy units taking over my cities before I know what's happening.

I word of caution, just like other tile improvements, listening posts, etc., are taken over when cities are captured. So keep this in mind when placing these improvements.
    No, I can't beat the game on deity level with 16 civs and raging barbarians and, and...

Comment

Radar stations have the functionality of showing all enemy units, within 25 tiles, on the small radar map. This includes stealthy units -- or, at least, Undersea Crawlers, anyway.

Sonar Buoys have a vision range (pushing back the Fog of War) of 1 space. It's small, but hey, they're cheap!
      SoulFisher
      _________|
      I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. -- Galations 2:20 (paraphrase)

Comment

MHO: The radar is useless on huge maps. Then it's too difficult to spot enemy units on the small radar map.
        First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Thanks for the corrections. I was guessing from memory not having the actual numbers in front of me.
          No, I can't beat the game on deity level with 16 civs and raging barbarians and, and...

Comment

No problem.

BTW, Listening posts only see 8 spaces.

Also, for what it's worth, Radar stations see 1 space (and still detect units upto 25 spaces away on the radar map - even if you can't find a unit's exact location, knowing what area it is in lets you know, "maybe I should get some troops over there, while my Plasma Destroyers look for it." )
            SoulFisher
            _________|
            I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. -- Galations 2:20 (paraphrase)

Comment

What about Diplomats and Spies?

These guys are cheap to maintain, and the spies are somewhat stealthy. Place them in unlikely transport routes (mountains, swamps, etc. - especially next to a road or railroad) and spread them over small groups (if one is ejected, you have others to take his place). They move faster than many other foot soldiers, and if a war-party takes time to attack your solitary unit, they're losing a movement advantage to other units that you may have in the vicinity.

Remember, they're all barbarians at heart!

Comment

I've found spies to be very useful in wartime situations. It has happened to me more than once that I've been pulled into a war with a civ I don't know much about (i.e. cities, locations, technologies, etc.). I've found that spies make excellent scouts. Not just for spying, but as a kind of ground-moving "spy plane". Spies have great speed, are stealthy, and have a large range of vision.

Not to mention that they're helpful to check out what units are in an enemy city so that your stack doesn't get slaughtered.

Comment

How about placing your spies on your opponents' tile improvements (radar stations, listening posts, mines and so on)
                  "I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat donuts." - Alice

Comment

Originally posted by jpww
                    How about placing your spies on your opponents' tile improvements (radar stations, listening posts, mines and so on)
                    What does that do? I've never tried it.

Comment

Working...
                    X