Changing terrain tiles into Martian Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing terrain tiles into Martian Dust

Can someone tell me how to change the appearance of terrain in CTP 1? Something like what was done in the Mars scenario in Civ 2. Is there a thread, or a website, that has this information?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by SoulFisher; July 28, 2001, 18:32.
    SoulFisher
    _________|
    I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. -- Galations 2:20 (paraphrase)

Hmmm...

I didn't know there was a Mars scenario for Civ2 except the one I wrote (but never released).

I'm writing a Mars scenario for CTP (Are you copying me?), which is nearly done now. If I am to infer from your post that you are also undertaking this task, then maybe we should share ideas. If you want to see it, I think I may be able to send you a copy, but it's a bit all-over-the-place right now and subject to frequent modification.

I also thought about changing the terrain, but the best I could come up with was playing hot dry maps and renaming the desert terrain 'fines' (Which, IIRC, is the correct name for Martian dust. In 'Red Mars' by Kim Stanley Robinson, someone says something along the lines of "Fines! They're called fines! Don't call them dust, that's like calling dust gravel"). AFAIK, there's no known way to change the terrain appearance . If there were, I'm sure someone would have made dead hills really dead hills by now.

Sorry, I wasn't really helpful, was I . Curse Activision and their wierd file formats . It was all so simple back in the days of non-animated single-type Civ2 terrain. At least they released the sprite editor (I'm now counting my Activision-related blessings on the fingers of one hand).

John

Comment

Grrrr

Every time I try to make a really long explaination to this thread, my PC crashes, so you will excuse me if I just give you this link which should answer questions, and give a faint possibility of a solution...

Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Actually, a Mars scenario was included on the "Civilization II: Multiplayer Gold Edition" CD-ROM I have. It was entitled "Mars now!" I thought it was very well done (not that everything was themed properly )

Unfortunately, I am not working on a Mars scenario. I am working on a more generic thing, the basic theme is "no life". Your population and your units are all robots.

I had thought that Med Mod, or True Terrain, somehow managed to change the terrains. I'm currently looking into this (and more so after my 1-month vacation in August). Thanks for your reply, J Bytheway.

Immortal Wombat,

I'll look into that link. Thanks!
        I hope you have better luck replying to your other threads!
        SoulFisher
        _________|
        I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. -- Galations 2:20 (paraphrase)

Comment

Problem solved now, no more freezing up.

SoulFisher, do you have sprites for robotic units, or are you planning on just using war walkers and BlueO's futuristic battlebot units?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

By far, most of my units are tanks from Harlan's WWII units collection. I am using BlueO's futuristinc hi-res units (they look cool and they have animated attacks). So far, I've only replaced sprites of existing units, so the scenario plays much the same as the default game does.

I've removed all the farms in the game (land,sea, & space), and replaced them with 15 new improvements that multiply a city's base food output. I even got the AI to build some of these . . .

I plan to playtest it during my vacation (still no internet access, though).
            SoulFisher
            _________|

Comment

What's with the futuristic battlebot units - I can't find them on the modifications page or in the files database. They'd really help me, can you give me a pointer?

Oh, and someone should know that there's a brocken link on the mods page, the planes (F22 Raptor, etc) link is pointing at TrueTerrain2, and the WWII link seems to be brocken completely.

John

Comment

The futuristic units were made for CtP2, so they're in the CtP2 database. They were made with the same spritetool, so can be used in either game.

One of the planes (F22 or EuroFighter) crashes the game, and I can't figure out why.

I would email Marcos (markg@apolyton.net) about the broken links, but he's swamped in stuff recently, so it might take a while to fix. I could email the planes to you if you want, but the WW2 collection is too big

Comment

That's fine, got all three files from the CTP2 database. Thanks for the offer.

John

Comment

No problem. I'm glad you got the files you wanted, I want to see this scenario :jumping-up-and-down-impatiently-smily:

Comment

Patience is a virtue .

I'm really, REALLY nearly done now - just the terrain entries for the great library and a few pictures (if I can get those 16-bit tgas working - haven't tried yet).

Actually there's loads more to do after that, but it's all cosmetic (e.g. gameplay/historical entries, possibly change the city sprites. The list goes on...) and I *should* be able to release a playable version before that's all done.

Would you like me to tempt your appetite with the readme file .

John

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                        One of the planes (F22 or EuroFighter) crashes the game, and I can't figure out why.
                        I should know about this - he's using 24-bit Targas. That's why it crashes . I'll e-mail the author about it.

Comment

Working...
                        X