I just finished my first game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just finished my first game

It was a lot of fun. at least I think so. the public works is kind of cool, the sea and space units look allright, but I only had one of each by games end. I conquered my enemies and ruled the world by 1890. on chieftan.

minuses: the battle outcomes are really weird sometimes. I attacked a city with 5 machine gunners and lost 2 of them to the lone defending legion. the diplomacy system is funny, since I can blow off their requests until I feel like it, but they have to answer mine immediately.

pluses: future eras. I didn't even make it to the diamond age. my favorite wonder, the space ladder. stacked combat. bombarding.

don't know whether I like them or not: Public Works. mountains limited to foot units. only nine units to a square. the annoying habit of cities in celebration to reach absurd levels (I had a couple cities over 100 in size).

so my consensus is: I don't know that it's better than civ2, but I like civ games. I'm going to keep playing. just remember to save often, it crashes a LOT.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Be sure you have the latest patches, as well as the mod packs available here. I think you'll find that they make the game much more stable.

Comment

Re: I just finished my first game

Originally posted by Father Beast
      minuses: the battle outcomes are really weird sometimes. I attacked a city with 5 machine gunners and lost 2 of them to the lone defending legion...
      The outcome of the battle depends on factors like defensive bonus(es), military readiness and government type

Don't take those legions for granted!

mountains limited to foot units...
      Two words: build roads!

--------------

Congratulations!
      "I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat donuts." - Alice

Comment

And a little more to jpww:

Do never conquer a one-size (sometimes 2-sized) city on mountains with cavalry or tanks (or units like those). When the city is conquered, its polulation sinks. If it goes zero (city annihilated) then the cityroad disappears. And so does all units, which is not either airborne or at foot (allowed to pass mountains).
        First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

best way to deal with 1 size city is to air bombard and paradrop.
          ==========================
          www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

i just find it's easier to sell an improvement and disband small conquered cities

Comment

Actually, CtP II is better, if you play with MedPack/Apolyton Pack. It has new feautures, but I miss space so much .
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

space wasn't that good, besides space planes, space fighters, and dropping swarm

Comment

space are very disturbing. after all, human has limited enegy, i always feel exhausted toward the end of the game. i would have 40 or so huge cities, a navy of 30+ ships, so on. Space would add another layer of complexity. it's just too much.
                  www.forgiftable.com/

Comment

actually, CTP1 with med mod is good. I have to thank everyone who took the time to bring it to us.
                    The AI are much smart with Med Mod. on Deity level, i cannot win the game even with cheating.
                    right now, i'm playing on small map, (reduce complexity), 4 enemy , and king level. This is kind of easy for me. As I have surpassed all my enemies on every thing. I am going to build a formindable navy now, because with Med Mod, the AIs know how to build ship. You gotta have powerful navy to defense your interests.
                    www.forgiftable.com/

Comment

space are very disturbing. after all, human has limited enegy, i always feel exhausted toward the end of the game...
                      This is when the "save" feature comes in handy

space wasn't that good...
                      IMHO, space is one of the coolest features! How else could you launch a massive and powerful surprise attack w/o the aid of space planes?

BTW, is this a good time to start a new thread on this subject?
                      "I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I eat donuts." - Alice

Comment

Space the final frontier we need more space IMO... I agree with you there JPWW if one finds a game going that way it is cool.

Pbem tends to go that way
                        “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                        Or do we?

Comment

I was just beaten in my second game. small map, prince, 8 civs. My neighbors the indians were ever so nice to me until I went to war with the spaniards. then all of a sudden they stab me and conquer 2 of my cities. Boy, that Indira Ghandi is one backstabbing warmongerer! I was way technologically behind for the rest of the game.
                          For some reason, I got the "you were defeated" message in 2218, right when the indians built the wormhole sensor. Why Would that be?

I have a save from 4000 BC. I think I'll try it again. one of the things I'm going try to do is stay ahead in tech. I'll take the most direct route to republic, and so forth.

BTW, I love the space stuff. sorry I didn't get to do more with it my first game.
                          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Space is good, and I love swarms. In German, they make cool sounds.
                            As for CtP 2 vs. CtP, I like that CtP 2 has much better diplomacy model.
                            CtP AI is too hard for me as it is, I could never beat emperor, and only once beaten King, with some great luck! CtP 2 AI, without MedPack, is very easy.
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I almost finished my second game. This time, on King Level, Small Map, 4 Civs. At the beginning, i was a bit behind. But I soon catch up and becoming the most powerful nation. After conquering Japan, my long time friend, my production is over 50% of the world combined. Later on, the foolish Russians attack and took my north sea port city of New Port, which is quite far away from the Main Land. I sent two destroyer to New Port, but they were both sunk by Russian ship-of-the-lines. I realized that a powerful navy is needed to protect my vast interests. Soon, I build several Heavy Cruiser and Battleships. My navy sails out for New Port with 4 Battleships and 6 Heavy Cruiser and 1 Carrier and 5 U-Boat and 3 Transport ship. In a decisive naval battle, I sunk the only Russian carrier and 2 of their Heavy Cruisers. and not only recovered New Port, but also captured their biggest cities of Kievs and Moscow. Russia was never again able to possess any thread to my empire. The lost of their capital city and some wonders throw their country into a series of riot and endless decline. Their industrial output shrink from 1600 to 300.
                              www.forgiftable.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X