Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question About "Ramping" Illegal/Cheating??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About "Ramping" Illegal/Cheating??

I always review games I play to see how others do things so I can get better ideas of how I should do things. I usually only review the first 20 or 30 turns. So I spotted some inconsistancies and wanted to go over "Ramping" with the Group.

Ramping as we defined to me would be this for an example:
    A settler has 4 or 5 turns to completion, but needs 750 gold to "rush buy" it. The granary only takes 150 gold to rush buy, but both need 4 or 5 turns to finish building normally. So you rush buy the granary for 150 gold, and after that, change it back to the settler and it will be completed instead. This works well by rush buying buildings and exchanging to units. it can be done very easily.

This is Cheating and illegal according to all the rules I have seen and been told here. If a person does this in the first 10 to 20 turns, even if it is only one time, he can have 3 to 5 more cities by turn 35 or 40 due to this extra settler he got. So a game can be lost before it is even started.

So I think a review of things like this should be mentioned.

I do not want to accuse anyone, but this has happened.

I also do not want to get in to who's cheating, "peeking" and such. Sometimes peeking is obvious, sometimes it can be a legitimate move and only looks like a person cheated when they really did not. So I prefer to not to have this thread turned in to this type of argument.

I only want to bring this to the front and try and forget the past and go forward from there. I prefer to mention this and forget it happened and continue playing my games. Let's keep this as an information thread instead of Drama, arguing and accusations.

Good Hunting and Fair playing. Ken/dancemasseuse

Of course, ramping and 'peeking" is cheating. There aren't many active CTP players left, and those still here have been around for a long time. If you are suggesting that one or more ladder players are cheating, I would be shocked.
    "

Comment

I am shocked myself. But I would not post it unless I coud produce it. I am not interested in that. It could be a one time thing and everybody deserves a chance to move forward and that is all I want to do here.

Comment

Benefit of the doubt. It is possible the person in question did not know this was cheating. It is specifically mentioned in the ladder rules and it is always possible they did not read the ladder rules and have always played that way without thinking it cheating. That said, if this benefit of the doubt is not constructive, then I wish you would please private message me at quinn2084 --- yahoo --- com to get to the root of it. I know it's just a game but we don't need a cheater in our midst.

Comment

I guess when I make a mistake I should own up too. I have figured out how this happened and the person did not cheap or ramp. so rather than leave a thread that could make others distrust each other I would ask the mods to close this thread an let it die. I made a mistake and wasted the boards time so I apologize and that is why I prefered to keep it small. now it does not have to be a major drama or blowup and the problem is solved. In working on this and trying to line it out with someone else I saw how it could be done legally and I missed something. So please forgive and no one is hurt except my reputation. But I owned up. ken

Comment

Originally posted by dancemasseuse View Post
            I guess when I make a mistake I should own up too. I have figured out how this happened and the person did not cheap or ramp. so rather than leave a thread that could make others distrust each other I would ask the mods to close this thread an let it die. I made a mistake and wasted the boards time so I apologize and that is why I prefered to keep it small. now it does not have to be a major drama or blowup and the problem is solved. In working on this and trying to line it out with someone else I saw how it could be done legally and I missed something. So please forgive and no one is hurt except my reputation. But I owned up. ken
            Thanks for your honesty and convictions

Im sure we can move along now

As stated here
            Originally posted by epw
            Of course, ramping and 'peeking" is cheating. There aren't many active CTP players left, and those still here have been around for a long time. If you are suggesting that one or more ladder players are cheating, I would be shocked.
            Since the smoke has no fire, reopen for traffic please since nothing else to see here
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by dancemasseuse View Post
              I have figured out how this happened and the person did not cheap or ramp.
              I would like to know his methods.
              "

Comment

Working...
              X