Loading space planes impossible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading space planes impossible?

Hurrah! I am now capable of space travelling! Only one problem: I can't load my space planes. I had two of them at the ready, but none of my units would actually go inside it to be launched into space. I even had a space settler / engineer, who could of course do NOTTING on land, but he also wouldn't go into the space plane.

Why? What's the trick?

What didn't work:
    1. Selecting the space plane and a certain unit together... the normal unit still wouldn't want to go into space.
    2. Parking the space plane on a tile right next to a city and letting the unit step out of the city into that tile... this is the normal way of loading for a ship. In the next turn, however, the unit and space plane would go separate ways again
    3. Trying anything in the "properties" page of a selected unit: Opening the 'cargo" image showed that the space plane had like four or five places available, but left or right clicking on another unit to try to persuade it to take one of those spaces didn't work.

I'm running XP on my computer. Starting up gives problems because I don't have the right video card or a certain video playing program that is not automatically part of XP.

I mess around with it a bit until I see the Multiplayer - Single player mode et cetera. From then on it works fine... or is this not loading on space planes (AND planes by the way, but that didn't bother me much) a symptom of it?

If I remember correctly, someone has to build the star ladder so that you are able to colonize the orbit.

And for land units I think you need something like a launching pad. And for the space ship I think you can't load it with space units.

Well to give some more precise tips I need the manual or the game itsself and both are at home.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

You can load space planes (as well as nukes on bombers and units on sea going vessels as I recall) by putting the desired units to load to sleep (the "Zzz" button on the "properties" page of a selected unit). They will be loaded when the plane/ship leaves. This can only be done in cities and on air bases. The space engineer may be too large to load on the space plane. I think you must build the Star Ladder wonder or a Rail Launcher in order to put it into space. It's not a bad idea to have Ladder or Launcher access to every space city anyhow.
      "I draw your attention to the words of Werner Erhard, who declared that true clarity can come only when someone is willing to notice: 'There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change everything.' " - Conversations with God, book 3

Comment

Ok, thanks, I'll try that... tomorrow.

Petra

Comment

Originally posted by kstolzy
          I think you must build the Star Ladder wonder or a Rail Launcher in order to put it into space. It's not a bad idea to have Ladder or Launcher access to every space city anyhow.
          No, space planes can launch into space under their own power - you don't need the Star Ladder or a Rail Launcher. If you do have either of those, then you can launch the units into space directly - you don't need the space plane.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway

No, space planes can launch into space under their own power - you don't need the Star Ladder or a Rail Launcher. If you do have either of those, then you can launch the units into space directly - you don't need the space plane.
            For sure.

The space engineer may be too large to load on the space plane. I think you must build the Star Ladder wonder or a Rail Launcher in order to put it into space.
            "It" refers to the space engineer. I seem to recall having the same problem as PHuijts in the past.
            "I draw your attention to the words of Werner Erhard, who declared that true clarity can come only when someone is willing to notice: 'There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change everything.' " - Conversations with God, book 3

Comment

"It" refers to the space engineer. I seem to recall having the same problem as PHuijts in the past.
              Ah, right, sorry I misinterpreted you - that's what comes from skimming posts . For the record, Space Engineers should be small and thus fit on Space Planes.

Comment

Originally posted by kstolzy View Post
                You can load space planes (as well as nukes on bombers and units on sea going vessels as I recall) by putting the desired units to load to sleep (the "Zzz" button on the "properties" page of a selected unit). They will be loaded when the plane/ship leaves. This can only be done in cities and on air bases. The space engineer may be too large to load on the space plane. I think you must build the Star Ladder wonder or a Rail Launcher in order to put it into space. It's not a bad idea to have Ladder or Launcher access to every space city anyhow.
                This is correct. You Sleep the units you want to load. Then launch the Space Plane. The units that are in Sentry/Sleep mode will b in the Cargo hold, up to 5 total.

To unload you descend. Then click on Cargo. Choose UNLOAD ALL. Then move the mouse to a land square that indicates with a * at the end of the green movement line, and click. If the units cannot unload where you are pointing it will not work.

Comment

Working...
                X