Two Semi-Noob Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Semi-Noob Questions

First, the easy one. Which file do I edit to change the colour of my civilization? I'm currently stuck on yellow.

I don't expect an answer to this one, considering its vagueness, but I've installed several of the major mods found on this site and something causes my game to crash after the victory movie at the end. This is nothing major and I know I can check my stats right before I win, but it's quite anticlimactic being sent back to desktop without so much as an error message. Anyone have an idea on what could cause this to happen?

Re: Two Semi-Noob Questions

Originally posted by 1096
    First, the easy one. Which file do I edit to change the colour of my civilization? I'm currently stuck on yellow.

I don't expect an answer to this one, considering its vagueness, but I've installed several of the major mods found on this site and something causes my game to crash after the victory movie at the end. This is nothing major and I know I can check my stats right before I win, but it's quite anticlimactic being sent back to desktop without so much as an error message. Anyone have an idea on what could cause this to happen?
    maybe its to do with the mod?

By default the number one slot is allways [color=blueBLUE[/color]

I have never had any other color and have played thousands of games since it first came out

unless a modded game scenario puts you in that slot..

here are the colors and what makes them up:

Code:
    	COLORSET_COLOR	0	0	0	#	COLOR_BLACK
    	COLORSET_COLOR	255	255	255	#	COLOR_WHITE

COLORSET_COLOR	255	0	0	#	COLOR_RED
    	COLORSET_COLOR	0	255	0	#	COLOR_GREEN
    	COLORSET_COLOR	0	0	255	#	COLOR_BLUE

COLORSET_COLOR	255	255	0	#	COLOR_YELLOW
    	COLORSET_COLOR	255	128	0	#	COLOR_ORANGE
    	COLORSET_COLOR	255	0	255	#	COLOR_PURPLE
    	COLORSET_COLOR	0	128	0	#	COLOR_DARK_GREEN

COLORSET_COLOR		196 0 38		#	COLOR_PLAYER0   			
    COLORSET_COLOR		0 0 255			#	COLOR_PLAYER1		
    COLORSET_COLOR		255 128 0		#	COLOR_PLAYER2		
    COLORSET_COLOR		0 135 64		#	COLOR_PLAYER3			
    COLORSET_COLOR		225 104 113		#	COLOR_PLAYER4   		
    COLORSET_COLOR		138 59 204		#	COLOR_PLAYER5   			
    COLORSET_COLOR		89 132 189		#	COLOR_PLAYER6   			
    COLORSET_COLOR		153 0 80		#	COLOR_PLAYER7   			
    COLORSET_COLOR		137 98 53		#	COLOR_PLAYER8   			
    COLORSET_COLOR		90 173 109 		#	COLOR_PLAYER9  		
    COLORSET_COLOR		248 149 182 		#	COLOR_PLAYER10  			
    COLORSET_COLOR		0 160 221		#	COLOR_PLAYER11  			
    COLORSET_COLOR		94 94 94		#	COLOR_PLAYER12  			
    COLORSET_COLOR		35 0 135 		#	COLOR_PLAYER13  		
    COLORSET_COLOR		199 159 109		#	COLOR_PLAYER14  			
    COLORSET_COLOR		138 202 15		#	COLOR_PLAYER15 		
    COLORSET_COLOR		86 53 13		#	COLOR_PLAYER16
    I am attaching what the civ colors are

so either a mod changed the colors or your having a graphics glitch?
    Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

>>By default the number one slot is allways [color=blueBLUE[/color]<<

Do you mean the first line in the colors00 file? If so, whatever mod I installed has changed this file and I do not see any line similar to that. It's not a problem, however, and I don't mind a bit of trial and error to figure it out(a slow but effective method of learning).

I was hoping someone had had a similar difficulty with end-game crashes which has since been solved. I'm not sure of all the mods I have, but I do remember downloading the medieval mod and CD. After that, I tweaked a lot of little statistics, but I can't see the correlation between unit/building/govt/terrain numbers and the post-game kick-in-the-butt("and STAY out!")

Apart from these minor issues, I must say that this game, after extensive modification, is excellent! It's a shame Civ3 wasn't programmed to have the same potential.

Comment

i failed to code the blue correctly when I mean it to say BLUE

but look at the line for the color_player01 it is 0 0 255

now look above that and the colorset _color is the same 0 0 255

thats what i meant

so I believe you could simply change that and it should work

wont hurt at least

Gramps

Comment

now I am not a color coordinated kinda guy

but the other colors are simply combos of these to make up whatever the particular pallete requires

like orange + purple=green or whatever

good luck

Comment

Yes, I actually tried changing colours as you said, but to no avail. Oh, well, like I said, it's no big deal.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Yes, I actually tried changing colours as you said, but to no avail. Oh, well, like I said, it's no big deal.

Thanks for the help.
              check back

Ill do some checking with some scenario documentations and see exactly what to do

I believe I remember something

Ill check and get back to ya

Have fun my friend

Gramps

Comment

I was looking at the modification documentatiosn here and it said this is all you have to do

I have attached it read it about colors.txt

Ill look further

Gramps
                Attached Files

Comment

Can't say I found anything new in that attachment, but the effort is appreciated. In retrospect, I should have backed up more of the files I altered. I feel I ask too much, but would it be possible for you to upload your original colors file?

I always wondered if it's possible to have more battle experience bonuses, from something as elementary as veterans turning to elites to rewards in terms of terrain-specific, att/def/firepower/hitpoint, or general movement bonuses. A second change I'd like to find a way to incorporate is increasing bombard range on the main map. Why should modern or even futuristic artillery shoot no further than medieval cannons? Any of these even remotely practical to implement?

So what are your favourite specific alterations to the basic game? I've got my citizens sentenced to community service(courthouses produce PWs), wonders that are somewhat weakened but don't expire--I never liked the idea of building something for 1000 years only to have it become obsolete 40 turns later, an extensive upgrade path for virtually every unit, and of course mods which improve AI are a must. Finally, I never understood why the larger mods always asked me to start games as scenarios so I used their files to edit the main game files. It wasn't too much work and I play the entire game from start to the finish(ok, almost!) without any problem.

Comment

Finally, I never understood why the larger mods always asked me to start games as scenarios so I used their files to edit the main game files. It wasn't too much work and I play the entire game from start to the finish(ok, almost!) without any problem.
                    Well that's simple, this way you can have installed several mods at the same time and the savegames always load with the right mod configuration, otherwise you can get serious problem if the savegame doesn't math with files from units that aren't available even they should or even to game crashes and you have no idea why.

-Martin
                    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

The game crashed far more frequently when I tried to run the mods as scenarios as the readmes suggested. In fact, I have fewer crashes now than I did with the original game. Perhaps I would have refrained from altering my main game files had there still been an active CTP modding community and thus a continuous supply of creative game enhancements.

Comment

The game crashed far more frequently when I tried to run the mods as scenarios as the readmes suggested. In fact, I have fewer crashes now than I did with the original game. Perhaps I would have refrained from altering my main game files had there still been an active CTP modding community and thus a continuous supply of creative game enhancements.
                        your welcome

Comment

What about my welcome?

If you meant "you're," then I thank you...mostly for your participation in some of the older threads on this forum. I seem to hazily recall improving my game by reading a post or two of yours.

Comment

What about my welcome?

If you meant "you're," then I thank you...mostly for your participation in some of the older threads on this forum. I seem to hazily recall improving my game by reading a post or two of yours.
                            do you mean me

I thoroughly enjoy this game and if any knowledge I have ontained helps, then I am humbled

Enjoy and maybe sometime online we will see each other

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Working...
                            X