Force Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force Field

A civ has a couple cities with a forcefield protecting them. Apparently they are impregnable to conventional units. Can the cities be conquered with a Nuke or Infector? Is there a better way to take a forcefield protected city out?
    "One more such victory and we are undone" - Pyrrhus of Epirus

You can conquer it with normal forces, force fields are just defence improvemnts that give the troops inside the city some defence boni like city walls. So with enough troops you are in. Well I must admit that I never have taken such a city, but of course you can always try. And from a gameplay point of view it would be a little frustrating to have impragnable cities.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Have you tried bombardment (bombers/artillery/warwalkers) followed by stacked forces?
      "I draw your attention to the words of Werner Erhard, who declared that true clarity can come only when someone is willing to notice: 'There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change everything.' " - Conversations with God, book 3

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't yet tried to use conventional units against the force field protected cities. This civ already has two such cities. The Library explanation of the forcefield used words like "impregnable" because of a +12 defense given to the city. That led me to believe that conventional units would spend a long time wearing down such a city, and if they have war walkers and artillary, they would wear me down first, so I cooked up a Nuke to make it a lot shorter (I had luckily turned off pollution).

I also considered an Infector or having a Spy cause the city to revolt. This could turn out to be an interesting problem. Think I'll save and start a parallel version of the game - have one with over the top solutions such as Nukes and one with coventional units (ranks of War Walkers and artillery). Follow up with a strong stacked attack. Of course I'll have to produce more units than I already have since I'm fighting on three fronts. The problem with a prolonged attack is that I might run out of turns and lose by default even though I'm the dominate civ.

What a great game! It's like golf - no two games are the same.
        "One more such victory and we are undone" - Pyrrhus of Epirus

Comment

A Spy induced revolt might leave you with a new AI adversary with the same force field and military units in place, albeit a weaker original civ, unless you have the "Egaltarian" wonder. It can also be very expensive. You might consider inducing a revolt by multiple (same turn) advertising attacks (only 500 gp per) by subneural ads.

Or, can you crank any space bombers yet?
          "I draw your attention to the words of Werner Erhard, who declared that true clarity can come only when someone is willing to notice: 'There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change everything.' " - Conversations with God, book 3

Comment

Working...
          X