Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP won't run in Win XP

Hi there,

I've recently installed CTP for the first time in about 4 years on a Windows XP SP2 machine... The copy I have was purchased in 1999 and I last installed it on a Windows 95 machine.

A problem is occuring when I try to run it. I get the play/more/exit splash screen select play and the screen goes black, then my desktop reappears, the screen goes black again for a little longer, then finally the desktop reappears again. The game never starts.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks

CTP on XP SP2

My CTP was purchased about the same time and I ran it on either WIN 95 or 98. I'm now running on XP SP2 without any significant problems. Apparently you can rule out XP SP2 as the problem and look elsewhere.
    "One more such victory and we are undone" - Pyrrhus of Epirus

Comment

I am having the same problem here as the original poster. Worked when I had 98, but now that I have XP, it just goes back to the desktop with no error when I press play.

Note: The same thing happened yesterday when I tried to play Alpha Centauri. I found a patch for that tho and everything is ok now. Is there a patch to use CTP on XP as well?

Chris

Comment

maybe its possible for a compatibility match..go to the folder where it is installed and right click on the icon for ctp and find cmpatibility mode and try it on 2000..might be worth a shot?

Gramps
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Hi again,

thanks for all the replies. I've found the solution for my machine at least. I obtained an updated video card driver from windows update. I found using the compatibility settings caused more problems in the end. The game is working perfectly now as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by henryp1973
            Hi again,

thanks for all the replies. I've found the solution for my machine at least. I obtained an updated video card driver from windows update. I found using the compatibility settings caused more problems in the end. The game is working perfectly now as far as I can tell.

Thanks
            great

I too found the uselessness of the compatibility mode but saw it reccommended and well..thought maybe it was some good?

come join us in pbem sometime..look forward to seeing ya there

Gramps

Comment

I updated my video driver and it did not help =( Any other suggestions?

Chris

Comment

I'm pretty sure if you have the same symptoms as I that it will be a video card related problem... Are you sure you have the latest drivers from the card manufacturer?

Apart from that I can't help you... good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Firebreak
                  I updated my video driver and it did not help =( Any other suggestions?

Chris

I would suggest you try several tries at installing if not try a different drive for the CD install

Hope this helps

Gramps

Comment

I would suggest you try several tries at installing if not try a different drive for the CD install
                    I didn't have any trouble installing, just seems to quit out when I hit play. (Game already installed)

Same thing happened in Alpha Centauri, but I found an XP patch for that. That's why I was thinking that XP was causing this. Also, for AC I had to modify the config file because it was telling me my CPU was unsupported. (Also a known bug I found info on, problem with Prescotts)

Chris

Comment

I didn't have any trouble installing, just seems to quit out when I hit play. (Game already installed)

Same thing happened in Alpha Centauri, but I found an XP patch for that. That's why I was thinking that XP was causing this. Also, for AC I had to modify the config file because it was telling me my CPU was unsupported. (Also a known bug I found info on, problem with Prescotts)

Chris
                      I was just thinking that maybe something on the disc didnt take..like a splash screen popup..which would cause a ctd

Just trying to cover all bases

Gramps

Comment

It's working now, had to put it on 98 in compatibility mode.

Chris

Comment

It's working now, had to put it on 98 in compatibility mode.

Chris
                          sweet..so the compatability has some usefullness after all

Comment

Hello all. I am new here, but I saw this thread and couldn't help responding, because I am having a similar problem...but, not exactly the same.

I recently also upgraded to a new computer with Windows XP (when I say "recently", I mean I got the computer last Thursday) and my copy of Call to Power used to work just fine on my older machine with Windows 98; now, it no longer works. Same problem.

But, with a slight difference: When I start up the game, the screen goes blank for a minute and I get the lights flashing along the bottom of my monitor for a few seconds, then I get the splash screen just fine, and the first movie will play. But if I hit enter to skip the movie and get to the main game menu screen (or just let the movie play all the way through), the screen goes blank with the flashing lights along the monitor...permanently, until I control + alt + delete out of there...BUT...this is the bit that nobody else has mentioned yet: The _music_ for the opening screen is playing. I can hear it just fine; I just can't see anything.

I'm not sure if I need new drivers or if my video card just plain won't work with this game (that was the problem with Age of Mythology, after all...) I've already tried the different compatibility things; they all give me the same result. (Although I never even knew about that option before reading this thread: thanks! )
                            I looked at the Device Manager and I still can't even tell what kind of video card I _have_ (this computer was custom-made for me at this place in town and my brother chose all the stuff for it, I have no idea what all he ordered; he did it while I was out of the room). I'm a real newbie to Windows XP and _very_ nervous about fiddling with my computer, especially a new one like this, so please, any advice you give me...make it _detailed_.

Also, I have no idea where to download new drivers _to_, folders-wise, which ones I need, or whether downloading the ones that would make Call to Power run would mess me up so that _other_ stuff no longer works. You can see why I'm nervous...

Anyway, ANY help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. This is one of my favourite games ever and I'd hate to lose it.

Thanks in advance!

...Notorious
                            Last edited by Scheherezade; February 1, 2005, 04:41.
                            "Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it."

Comment

Well, to use the aforementioned compatibility mode you need to find the CTP executable ([CTP install folder]\ctp_program\ctp\ctp.exe) using explorer, right click on it, go to properties, and on one the Compatibility tab, set it to use Windows 98 compatibility mode - this should affect nothing but CTP.

Comment

Working...
                              X