Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mathemagician
    the question simply is:
    do you want new players to have to read a bunch of threads or do you want experienced players to, well, basically read some other threads.
    If everyone knows it is possible to built a mine under a city, where is ther cheat?
    I know it but I never do it, but i should do it in some games with some players in the future. But I will not cheat.

Comment

the assumption of your statement, that everyone knows it, is wrong.
      moreover, if you deliberately use something to your advantage that you know or have reason to believe that your opponent will believe to be illegal and not use, you are effectively cheating. if you and your opponent agree before the game to deviate from the standard rules, it is not cheating anymore. and the standard is what we are trying to compile and/or define here.
      Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
      O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

the assumption of your statement, that everyone knows it, is wrong.
        moreover, if you deliberately use something to your advantage that you know or have reason to believe that your opponent will believe to be illegal and not use, you are effectively cheating. if you and your opponent agree before the game to deviate from the standard rules, it is not cheating anymore. and the standard is what we are trying to compile and/or define here.
        I accept the democratic apolyton rules.
        But games where everything is allowed are really fun, because you can megacivs very fast, the best civs are built with rush buy granery-settler and mine under city and market-caravan and with all the dirty bugs.
        Es ist geil wenn man alles machbare aus dem spiel herausholt und jemanden gegen sich hat der das auch macht.
        Can you translate that?

Comment

i could. but i think you could as well.
          however, i suspect you wont do it. so i wont do it either.

Comment

i could. but i think you could as well.
            however, i suspect you wont do it. so i wont do it either.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys

As time permits maybe we could simply edit out what is and is not pertinent (once agreed upon) then maybe set as a sort of rules to go by

Filix

I agree if in a game and all are aware and understand how to use then no problems...but not everyone knows the gold crack or other less than acceptable ways

ok

keep 'em coming

Gramps
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

btw, what if you accidentally attack some units because of a graphics bug ? is it allowed to restart the turn ?
                how about that ?

Comment

I guess the following goes as a cheat. Some times in PBEM-games, when you end you turn, you might get a message meant to the next player asking about should a city build a settler next turn, even if the city has only a population of one. You can click yes, and your opponent gets quite annoyed by losing a city for nothing. Especialy when it was the capitol
                  The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
                  - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

how about that ?
                    again Math

This reverts back to trust

I would think if someone honestly , due to a graphics error attacks a unit inadvertently, I dont think it is a cheat to reload turn

as long as this is the exception and not the rule

Thats my take on it

Gramps

Comment

Originally posted by Pave
                      I guess the following goes as a cheat. Some times in PBEM-games, when you end you turn, you might get a message meant to the next player asking about should a city build a settler next turn, even if the city has only a population of one. You can click yes, and your opponent gets quite annoyed by losing a city for nothing. Especialy when it was the capitol
                      But it doesnt actually happen does it?

I did that in a hotseat game playing myself and found it didtnt carry over to other persons turn, as they were allowed same option as you..just declined to build the city

GT

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        Also, everyone should remember that PBEM games are based on mutual trust. Since many cheats are impossible to detect (like, you can load the turn and replay it 10 times theoretically), it's all about players trusting each other not to use those cheats. Therefore, have respect for your opponents.
                        Most of this have been discussed many times - but much is now in the CTP-archive.

Therefore I suggest Solver top this thread and Troll "make" hyperlinks to the most important of the old threads IN HIS FIRST POST HERE - that is editing and adding in that post.

I will provide as many links as I can re-find of the old ones. And of course I will "high-light" the ones I find most important and just mention others.

Please fell free to help here anybody.
                        First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

But it doesnt actually happen does it?

I did that in a hotseat game playing myself and found it didtnt carry over to other persons turn, as they were allowed same option as you..just declined to build the city

GT
                          No it dosn't. The "real owner" of a city is also asked and his/her (well, we do not presently have any "hers") decision is the one counting.
                          First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by TheBirdMan

No it dosn't. The "real owner" of a city is also asked and his/her (well, we do not presently have any "hers") decision is the one counting.
                            thanks for confirming

Comment

of course no "auto advancing turns".." a free lookie" at opponents turns this is indeed a no no

Comment

Originally posted by checkMate
                                Changing the queue after rush buying in order to speed up production is a cheat.
                                Do you mean rushbuying 1 production type and then swith to another more expensive?

There are 3 production types, Buildnings(Cheap), Units(expensive) and Wonders(VERY expensive).

Imo rusbuying a colluseum and then switch to a wonder is a cheat since the cost per production is much higher for wonders.
                                Switching from one building to another for example from temple to a Factory after rusbuying the temple is no cheat. The ammount of production you gain per gold invested is the same as if you rushbuy something completley. I see this as an tactical option.

©2004 Dimytes

Comment

Working...
                                X