No announcement yet.

The Struggle with CTP, or, A Cube with a Mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the reply, and very interesting. For example, if I have a choice of, say, 3 different types of terrain to build a city on. I want to know which particular area to 'settle' on so that I can produce a certain type of unit (military, city wall, etc.) in the least amount of turns. I can determine this solely on the 'production' value, based only on the amount of production it tells me when I right click on the tile (prior to settling on it)?

Comment

My sliders are acting weird, they can still make people unhappy but they don't make people happy anymore.
      I changed my signature

Comment

sliders??

Comment

Joel, the starting production of your new city will be the production value of your "center" or "city" tile (the one the settler builds on) plus 5 (this only applies to the "city" or "center" tile), plus the production value of the tile you place your one (starting) worker on, modified by the production bonus of your government (if any), less the percentage set aside for public works (if any). That should cover it.

The sliders Gamecube64 is refering to are the "workday", "wages", "rations" sliders available on the civ tab and the civ status screen.

Gamecube64, could you have changed governments? Are you short on gold or food?
          "I draw your attention to the words of Werner Erhard, who declared that true clarity can come only when someone is willing to notice: 'There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change everything.' " - Conversations with God, book 3

Comment

I am not short on gold or food because I am still collecting in treasury and science, wages are paid before those, correct? I have more than enough food in all my cities (advanced farms they let me have enough extra food to mine some plains while still growing fast.)
            I changed my signature

Comment

hey, kstolzy, who are you and how do you have thhis consummate CTP knowledge (blasts from the past, at this point??). Thanks for the precisely insightful answer. I never obtained a players manual so I've had to learn as I play, but never knowing what the formula's are for figuring this kind of stuff out.

Comment

Actually I am a relative newcomer, I've only been playing since last year. There are many others with more knowledge and experience than I (e.g. J Bytheway). I have read the players manual (not much there), the official strategy guide(some errors, explains combat and gov't modifiers), GameSpot's Unofficial game guide(less valuable than the official), and most of this forum, as well as extensive reading in the GL (Great Library, most useful). I am still an active player, but my games move slow because I like to micromanage my empires.

Gamecube64, it occured to me to ask the obvious, have you already maxed out your sliders? The only places I can think of that you could look for clues are the Civ Status screen (use the buttons above each of the sliders with the gear, circled G, and bread icons to get details of resource use) or the happiness button on the city tab at the bottom (each city will have it's own).
                "I draw your attention to the words of Werner Erhard, who declared that true clarity can come only when someone is willing to notice: 'There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change everything.' " - Conversations with God, book 3

Comment

I decided just to start a new game one difficulty up on king since I had such a commanding lead, I'll go more into detail later but right now my capital is building labyrinth, gonna need it for those 8 beavers and 4 crabs I already have (3 crabs in one city!)
                  I changed my signature

Comment

I micromanage as well, especially late into the games. Playing on Deity, I am no doubt always behind early and have to make the gradual catch-up. Sometimes I get onto the bell curve early (in catching up) and I eventually kick computer butt; sometimes I 'win' by computer standards in time, and sometimes I don't 'win' the game. However, if I keep playing after another civ has 'won', I can always eventually kick all other civ's butts. The only question is whether I can position myself to do it in time. I will check out the gamespot site, and maybe others like it (thank you, Google?) that could have some add'l info...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Gamecube64
                      My sliders are acting weird, they can still make people unhappy but they don't make people happy anymore.
                      The sliders never make people particularly happy. If they have a net positive effect then you will get +2 happiness everywhere, regardless of how large this positive effect is or how large the city is, but if they have a net negative effect then they cause unhappiness in proportion to both the total negative effect and the size of each city.

Nevertheless, IIRC, I have once seen my sliders stop making people happy altogether, which may be the effect you're getting, but there's almost no circumstances in which you want to use your sliders to make people happy anyway, so it shouldn't really be a big deal...

Comment

You might find this tread interesting:

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                        X