CTP crash problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTP crash problem

I've had CTP for years now, and recently became interested in it again (which happens on a periodic basis). It was still on my machine, so I ran it, and it crashed almost right away (after the very first option screen - play, more, exit). Performed an illegal operation. This is what I got:

"CIVCTP caused an invalid page fault in
    module CIVCTP.EXE at 015f:004a1689.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000000 CS=015f EIP=004a1689 EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=00a218c0 SS=0167 ESP=00d2fd30 EBP=00d2fd5c
    ECX=02873410 DS=0167 ESI=02873410 FS=2acf
    EDX=00000002 ES=0167 EDI=00e508a0 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    8b 08 89 0e 8b 15 04 a7 a5 00 8b 02 89 46 04 8b
    Stack dump:
    00e508a0 00000000 00564c0e 00000000 00d440bc 00e51ed0 02873410 00000000 00d2fd8c 007114cc 00000000 00d2fd9c 00408888 00725628 00000000 00d2fd8c "

A lot of hexidecimal addresses (useless to probably everybody but the coders), but I thought the first line might provide a clue (CIVCTP causes page fault in CIVCTP.EXE).

So I figured, it's been on there for a while without being played...perhaps some system mod or windows thing modified it without my knowledge. So I uninstall it completely, get out the CD (which has been stored in a proper case the whole time) and reinstall it. It does the exact same thing. I remove/install a number of times, trying a number of minor things that occasionally work in these situations, and I get the same thing. I've tried the Patch (v 1.2) as well.

So the questions are: is my CD ruined? Or has my operating system been modified in a such a way that it there is no problem with the with the CD, but that I'll never be able to find out what's wrong?

How screwed am I?

No worries,
    Xmucane

Just a thought..have you run a systemscan for virus's?

I would have thought that uninstall/reinstall would have done it?

Try cleaning off the CD then try again?

What OS you running?

System spec's?

Good luck!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

The CD is clean.

I run regular virus scans, but I suppose it's been about a week since a complete scan (nothing else has been acting up in any way, but it's worth a try).

OS - Windows 98

System Specs- ~350 mHz processor, Thinkpad 770(?) laptop, 8MB video card.

Thing is, I know the system will run the game, cause I've played it on this computer for ages. Same for the OS. The best I can think of is that I might have run a Windows Update of some kind that would make an alteration that might cause this. And I suppose there's your usual program installations and removals that come and go - but nothing major it would seem.

Thanks!

Xmucane

Comment

One more question. Will some kind of official tech support still be available for CTP I after all this time. I know that even for current products you sometimes have to badger tech support for a while (i.e. be persistent), but it would be nice to know in advance if it would still be available before doing all that badgering and waiting?

Cheers,
        Xmucane

Comment

I believe that technically it is still available, but there is noone left at Activision who knows enough about CTP to be of assistance...

Comment

So my brand new factory sealed version of CTP arrived; I open it up and install it and the EXACT same thing happens as above. I tried the new CD on a friend's computer and it works fine. Something is clearly wrong with MY computer (although the machine works fine in absolutely every other aspect of computer-dom). Am I going to have to reinstall Windows on my machine?

Sincerely Yours,
            Nyarlathotep "Servant of Neferet"

Comment

Yeah, reinstalling windows would be the first thing I'd do.
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Same Problem Here

I also have a previously working version of CTP, it works on XP on my old and other's computers but with my main laptop which is new, it does not. It didnt' work before or after reinstalling window, the intro screen loads but once you click Play it closes out completely. Did anyone figure it out, my guess is that it is a windows settting of some kind but I have yet to determine which.

Comment

Guessing out in the blue..... try update your displaydrivers.
                  First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

No Help

Unfortunately there are no new drivers for my graphics card, its an ATI 9000 64 mb so there should be no reason why CTP doesn't work, i tried rolling back the driver too that didn't do it.

Comment

Invalid page fault's could be a few things, first do the control alt del and shut down any and all processes running just not explorer. I would shut them down one at a time and see if the game runs after each shutdown.

Remove all TSRs, Delete all program temporary files, Run Scandisk / Defrag.

If that works remove the offending program, it could be spy ware malware or other crap from the internet causing this.

Have you recently loaded any other programs?
                      Is this the only problem with your machine?
                      “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                      Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                      X