Multiplayer compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer compatibility

Is it possible to play multiplayer in Civilization: Call to Power if you're running Windows XP? The ?s section on this site said Activision said compatibility issues with multiplayer may not all be resolved. When I tried to do it, selecting Internet, it just kept searching for servers. How can I make it work?

Well it looks like your problem is caused by an outdated servers.dat file. It is question 12 in the CTP1 FAQ, it is one of the topped threads here in this forum. Or alternativly you can just click here
    to find a place were you can download an up to date version. (I hope.) And don't worry that the link leads you to the CTP2 file section the CTP2 servers.dat is identicall with the one for CTP1.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, I've downloaded the file.
      -qb_mon

Comment

One major problem you will have is saving and reloading MP games as a member of XP OS.

You can play but I have personally experienced problems joining others whom have xp

I installed 98se and my problems dissapeared.

Good luck!

You can still join games where the host is 98se but major problemos arise with XP..

Sorry

Peace

Grandpa Troll
        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Hi

Just wanted to know, I have dl the server.dat file but it still stays stuck at the 'looking for servers' pane. Any ideas?

thanks

dan

Comment

And where did you put the servers.dat file?

Anyway it goes into your ..\ctp_program\ctp\ folder.

-Martin
            Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the reply. I did replace the servers.dat in the correct folder. When I try to connect the 'connect to server' line seems to 'block' for a moment, telling me that it is reading the new server.dat file, but then 'unblocks' and continues to search.

From your response I gather that the servers.dat file is a correctly updated one and that it works for others.

Comment

i have win 2000pro
                my problem is that either i cannot connect at all to a MP game (to the server i can) or if it works i seem to be in an all empty game without even the game's initiator.
                or, if it somehow miraculously works and i get into the game, i get thrown out instantly with the message "database out of sync".

im living in a student home which uses a LAN, but the network admin says it doesnt have an own firewall.
                i had the same problems with my personal firewall (zone alarm) on or off, so no difference.

im using CTP1, patch 1.2 (at least i think it is as it refuses to install the patch saying i dont need it).
                i tried with modified text files for my own civ, but also with the original text files of the german and english versions.
                now i have power slic 2, but didnt try since.
                Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
                O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

Originally posted by Mathemagician
                  i have win 2000pro
                  my problem is that either i cannot connect at all to a MP game (to the server i can) or if it works i seem to be in an all empty game without even the game's initiator.
                  or, if it somehow miraculously works and i get into the game, i get thrown out instantly with the message "database out of sync".

im living in a student home which uses a LAN, but the network admin says it doesnt have an own firewall.
                  i had the same problems with my personal firewall (zone alarm) on or off, so no difference.

im using CTP1, patch 1.2 (at least i think it is as it refuses to install the patch saying i dont need it).
                  i tried with modified text files for my own civ, but also with the original text files of the german and english versions.
                  now i have power slic 2, but didnt try since.
                  It is odd Math, we are playing a PBEM game and also Dimytes...

BUT

Both games I am getting extremely Weird text in the popup messages..

U know like when you discover Theocracy say, it has "STATS" for the button you would normally press for, IIRC, "ENACT" to launch new govt.

There are also weird messages in box which are not in the default normal game.
                  Me and Erni, also from Deutchland, play almost every week and sometimes he launches most times i do, and never get these messages??

I am assuming it has to do with Power Slic that you spoke of, because when you launched It crashed to desktop but when i did it has run smoothly with the one exception of my city dieying of famine in 1 turn.

It is odd is all that we can play but perhaps have diffeent databases, which makes me wonder what else could be altered and have no effects but show up and allow us to play?

Just wondering out loud is all

Hope you get the problem fixed so we can play online sometime!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
                  Attached Files

Comment

i had the message line problem often, not only since im using power slic 2, it seems the respective files are very easily disrupted.
                    Baal: "You dare mock me ?"
                    O'Neill: "Baal, c'mon, you should know ... Of course I dare mock you."

Comment

Originally posted by Mathemagician
                      i had the message line problem often, not only since im using power slic 2, it seems the respective files are very easily disrupted.
                      Yeah, a lot of mess like someone has tried to mess with making new button and new text within them

Oh well as long as no unfair advantage is obtained I can live with them...

Peace

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Working...
                      X