Effects of Obsolescence + Cool ideas site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects of Obsolescence + Cool ideas site

Just wanted to ask, if I make an Improvment Obsolete will that actually work? I noticed that none of the origional CTP buildings ever go obsolete. Also I found a cool 3D art page on the web, if your stuck for Ideas maybe a visit

here

will give you a few, mainly futuristic but is still an interesting look.
    Flying shields and no warm beer.

Hey Dogmatrix, Yes it should work if you obselete an improvement. It shouldn't allow you to build it anymore, but I'm not sure if the building is already built and it goes obselete what it will do?????

Anyone know about the latter????

------------------
    Gemini

Comment

I'm not sure about it myself but I think it does the same things as units, you just can't build more but you keep the ones you have
      "When we forge weapons, we also forge war. When we forge tools, we also forge civilization. "

Comment

i tried obsoleting an improvement in the Med Pack 3. Once it bacomes obsolete, it is removed from the build list. However, cities which have already constructed it will continue to receive its benefits.

Comment

That's what I thought, oh well looks like I'll have to make something using slic to make my upgradable buildings, marketplace etc .

Also has anyone checked the site I've linked? I liked it cause it's cool

Thanks for the replies.

Dogmatrix

Comment

You could write the SLIC code to sell the buildings when they became obsolete, like in Civ I (and II? So long since I've played it!)

Thinking about it, that was quite annoying though. I mean, if you've got an old building, it'll still function, even if it's not as good as the new one. If you want to get really involved with the SLIC you could offer the opportunity to upgrade the building for a certain amount of production (not sure if this'll be possible though). This is what kind of bubgs me about PW - OK the improvement builds quicker, but it still costs the same!

Dan
            Just a thought......

Comment

Hi guys, well I did check into using slic to sell improvements a while ago, and found it is not possible to do this. Apparently the function does not work. It's too bad!!!!

Also you can't use slic to build new improvements. Which again is to bad.

The only thing you can do with slic is to check and see if a improvement is in the buildlist.

INT IsBuildingInBuildList(city, buildingtype)

or add it to the buildlist.

VOID AddBuildingToBuildList(city, buildingtype)

That's about it.

------------------
              Gemini
              [This message has been edited by gemini (edited May 29, 2000).]

Comment

gemini is right, SLIC and buildings don't go together well. Even those few triggers that are there don't work. I couldn't even get IsBuildingInBuildList and AddBuildingToBuildList to work but I only tried before the 1.2 documentation came out, so I might have done something wrong.
                Anyway, when it comes to buildings or build-queue's, I wouldn't count on anything as far as SLIC is concerned (hopefully this will be fixed in CtP2).
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

So does this mean I can't even remove the improvments people have, using slic?

Domatrix

Comment

No, you can't destroy existing buildings if that is what you mean. You *might* be able to kill buildings from the build-queue so they can't be built in the first place, but I probably won't have time to experiment with this for a while, so you'll have to find out for yourself if that works (should be done with KillBuildingFromBuildList() function).
                    As I said, SLIC and buildings are really hopeless.
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                    X