Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World War II Scenario: anyone interested, or any suggestions/comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nordicus, I think you missed my post that came in ahead of yours. Also, has anyone looked at Pacific General's graphics?

Comment

WesW:
      Yeah, I saw the post above mine, and I saw your post in the Diplomacy AI thread (looking for a translator for the language in the fli and AIP files). Haven't a clue what language those are written in. The AIP files esp. I believe that no question is stupid, esp. when I ask it but why the heck are they in Winamp format? That always confused me. I dunno, maybe it's just me.
      Yes, your comment about the order CTP reading lines in files was very helpful--after I moved it to the end, I managed to, thanks to that, get CTP to load 75% before crashing, as opposed to 25%!!! Yaaay!! I got the champagne poured and everything!!
      Really, though, some progress is better than none.

What's really frickin strange is that nothing I try works unless it's included in the gl_str (i.e. "COULD NOT FIND"--blah-blah--"IN STRING DATABASE"), and when I include the terrain good in the gl_str (no matter where), I'm able to load, sure, but I get that freaky-ass screen: half the screen is visible, sort of squashed, pinkish, and generally all f**ked up. What the heck is with that??? I just don't understand THAT one. ARGH!!
      Say, want a copy of my graphics?--maybe you could have better luck. I'm very quickly running out of ideas.

Anyway, I'm gonna look at your stockade thing now (I get your line of thinking: stockade, stone working; city walls, engineering--I like my idea better ), take a break from the madness and horror, let the bruises on my skull heal.

Later.

N.
      Existence is Futile.

Comment

Hey Nordicus, WesW,

I have pacific general but unfortunately it is only one facing so I am stuck with the same problems. As far as other games I will continue the search for now.

I think the mine thing might be able to be pulled off but would the ai use it effectivly. There might be a work around. I will have to think about it. And the medic unit is a good idea but only on a small scale battle field. But I don't know what do you think.

Anyway I'll talk to you guys later
        Thanks

------------------
        Gemini

Comment

Harlan, my man!
          Whatcha been up to? Me...I've been goofing off lately, getting into trouble and such, but later I'll email you with detailed response. O, BTW, the number and selections of civs I did up was only to keep it to around ten--if you're not worried about using more, neither am I I got a bit merge-happy, I know.
          So, anyway, it'll look like this:

1. Allies (having these guys in one will save much AI fiddling and headaches no doubt)
          2. Germans
          3. Russians
          4. French (inclu. BeNeLux?)
          5. Spanish (Portuguese)--and I liked Gemini's thought of having a % of these allying with Germany, you?
          6. Turkish
          7. Neutrals (Swiss, Irish, Afghani, Saudi, Yemen, Liberia, Iceland, China...)
          8. Yugoslavians
          9. Greeks
          10. Arabs (Iraqis/Persians...possibly in with Allies...if civ count needed lower?)
          11. Italians (Quite possibly joined with Germany)
          12. Swedish
          13. Finland (or was something mentioned about these guys...? Can't recall right now)

How's this look? Up 3 from the other one, pending.
          I was curious about Norway, since the possibility of an English invasion might make the situation interesting--a race with Germany to conquer it maybe. I'm not drooling profusely over the idea, I was just wondering where Norway fit in. 13th?

I like the idea of having seasonal terrain (ah, terrain, oi!), but I'd be happy just be gettin any of mine in there, yunno?

Also, any ideas how to do the timeline? 1940 to 1946 or 7, so it would be divided into 6 or 7 periods, having 12 months/turns per? Or what've you worked out? Unless I'm worse at math than I thought, if it's a 7-year period, that's 84 turns, right? 6 years would be 72 turns, right? Or have I gone dizzy?
          (Oh yeah: I was in error regarding the starting date for the scenario--sorry --I thought yours was 1939...I realize it's 1940, which is fine. As for the end game date (feel like we're haggling ) I'm dropping it to 1947. What do you think? Ja oder nein? Your bid, sir....)
          Wait, wait, hang on: I just saw that--two turns for each month. Hmmm. Now I have do more math! Okay, 144 turns for 6 years and 168 turns for 7. This seems much more reasonable. (No doubt you've already worked all this out for a 6-year period?) I'm still open to that. I like the idea of using a two-turn-per-month setup, starting turn 1 May 1st, 1940, turn 2 May 15th, 1940, et cetera.

As for AI personalities, the "Baltic" one is for Yugoslavia and Greece (which doesn't need its own personality, does it--no offense to Apolyton or respected members --?). Having their own civ, sure, but the same personality could be used for both, IMO.

Medic unit: cool but not necessary.

Surrender button/option: way cool...don't know how though. You?

Terrain...need more time to recover before trying that *****king ***med ********tching
          *******it again.

As for wonders/advances/improvements, you have the bulk of (or lack thereof) my ideas. If you already have this worked out, why waste time waiting for me to come to find inspiration (esp. since it's just us now), and rather just use what you have? That way I can concentrate on other stuff, eh? Whatcha think?

Holy Crap! Blabbermouth again! Okay, so my email will be shorter, later. If I've missed anything, feel free to include it, man.

Good. Looks like we're getting closer to having our sh*t together here, huh?

But I'll send ya stuff later.
          Be cool.

N.

[This message has been edited by Nordicus (edited October 25, 1999).]
          [This message has been edited by Nordicus (edited October 25, 1999).]
          Existence is Futile.

Comment

I could help you guys out with the gl files if you wanted me to. If either of you has any historical files or links, you could give me those, and I could be working on that aspect of it.

Comment

Hey! Wes!
              Yeah! (All exclaimation-happy today----got my scanner working and got my new printer, so that may be why !!!)
              Seriously! Yeah, hey, that would be way cool!
              Thanks! for! the! offer!
              Talk! to! you! later!
              Tomorrow, I'm toooo tired.
              Later, dude.

N.

(PS! I like your, ahem, new-sig, ahem...!)

------------------
              "Smells like monkey in here."

"Verrosten est X-beine das Fahrbar Bliken Obszon
              Abgabepflichtighoffenburger!?!?!?!"

Existence is Futile.

Comment

Hey: Gemini?
                Where ya been?
                We miss you around here.

------------------
                "There can be no maximum of creation without a concomitant maximum of destruction, no supreme good without supreme evil"--Heller, paraphrasing Nietzsche.

"It never stops, never rests, and I can see its hideous face: it looks like Jesus, looks like Lucifer, looks like me...looks like I won't be seeing you tonight..."--Thomas Knight.

"Verrosten est X-beine das Fahrbar Bliken Obszon
                Abgabepflichtighoffenburger!?!?!?!"

"Like Wes said...."
                Existence is Futile.

Comment

Hey Nordicus!

Ya I've been here and there. Still trying to finish all my units.

The biggest thing is trying to find resources to "liberate" the graphics from. viewpoint.com has some but some of the facings are really screwy. Most of what's left is just the japanese and other pacific theatre planes. If anyone has any 3d models can you send them to me cos it would be a great help. I can make animations out of them too. I did go to 3dcafe.com and exhausted the library there.

Anyway how's it going with the europe scenario? Also it sounds like your doing some good work with the aip files.

Talk to you soon.

------------------
                  Gemini

Comment

Hey, you!
                    Ya, it's been moving along, slowly, but getting there.

Well, it looks like I have some free time tonight, so maybe I'll look around for you.
                    When I'm done goofing around in Off-Topic, that is, arguing with Americans and such
                    Yeah, if you wanted to send any units, in whatever format you have, sure, like to have a look and see how they're doing.

Catch ya later, man.
                    Existence is Futile.

Comment

Harlan:

Hey! Man, I can't seem to (yet again) get a friggin email to you! I wrote for an hour last night and (forgetting to save it) then sent it, but it wavered there for twenty minutes, no % of it getting through, so I shut it down and lost the message!! Third time in a week!
                      So, no: I'M NOT IGNORING YOU! I'm just having trouble again with sending you an email. Is there anything wrong with your mail server? Something's not right here; I have no problems with anyone else. It doesn't want to connect--has anyone else had this trouble?
                      Anyway, I'm going to try a bit later to send you something, so if you don't hear from me, please respond to this message!

Tanks.
                      Later.

N.
                      Existence is Futile.

Comment

HARLAN:

Please see above: same problem.

N.
                        Existence is Futile.

Comment

HARLAN?

Dammit!
                          I cannot get a gawd*@*&^!`&***ing email to you, man!!!!!! It's been three days now.
                          This is really irritating. What the hell is with your server???
                          Please post here when you can.

Thank you.

N.
                          Existence is Futile.

Comment

Boy, Nordicus, you're having problems. Sorry, I hadn't checked this in a few days. I just got two test emails from you though, so I don't see what the problem is. I've been getting emails from other people no problem as well. Try again!

Comment

Hey!
                              Harlan, there you be!
                              Yes, there's been a boggle with what I assumed was your server, but last night I had problems emailing different people. So it may be something with mine. Grrrrr....

Anyway, nice to see that you're alive. I'll try sending you something in a bit.
                              Gotta check the DAIPs thread first.

Later.

N.
                              Existence is Futile.

Comment

*bump*
                                Existence is Futile.

Comment

Working...
                                X