Different Racial Attributes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Racial Attributes

I have been working on an idea of mine. Creating a scenario where each race has certain racial advantages/disadvantages (ad/disad). You know bonus to science with a penalty to industry or growth. That kind of thing. I don't like it that it is a pregenerated map, but I think that is the only way to do it.

The best way I have found to do create these ad/disad was through wonders, as I don't know a lick about SLIC or even its capabilities. My question is simply this- is there a way to use SLIC or something else that would make it so that if you built one wonder it would take others of your build list (This would allow you to choose the advantages/disadvantages you want without being able to build them all)? Or better yet have it build certain wonders for specific races at the biginning of the game, this way at least the AI would get to utilizae the advantages.

Using the wonders for this specific purpose works great even the disadvantages (you just change the sign (+/-). I am still trying to play test the settings. Some are too powerful others a little too weak. Well, if there is no way to do it, that's okay. I can create a bunch of scenarios with these settings. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea, or no? Thanks for your opinion.

------------------
    Yours in gaming,
    ~Elucidus
    Yours in gaming,
    ~Luc

Hmm.. we'd need more wonders then
    ~I like eggs.~

Comment

E:
      What files did you alter to bring about these advantages/disadvantages?

I don't know much about Slic either, but I don't think one can do much (or anything) with the AI thru Slic.

------------------
      "There can be no maximum of creation without a concomitant maximum of destruction, no supreme good without supreme evil"--Heller, paraphrasing Nietzsche.

"The more passion for the argument, the less evidence for it"--Russel.

"If you don't agree with me, you're in denial."
      Existence is Futile.

Comment

All I've done is create a separate wonder for each race. I have to pre-place them in a scenario though and that gets kinda monotonous. So I am looking for a way to place them at the beginning of a random map or something.
        Yours in gaming,
        ~Luc

Comment

Elucidus

You cannot 'give' buildings or wonders through SLIC. This is one of the largest flaws SLIC still has IMO. It *may* be possible to manipulate the build-list of city's/civs but since patch 1.2 but I don't know how since there has been no documentation or help from Activision what so ever since that patch came out. Thanks to Dutcheese's function list we know there are functions like AddWonderToBuildList or KillWonderFromBuildList which combined with CivilizationIndex and PlayerCivilization could provide you with the code you need, but none of these functions are documented (maybe they don't even work at all). Coincidentally I was experimenting with AddBuildingToBuildList and KillBuildingFromBuildList (which should work the same as the Wonder-version) yesterday and I managed to get rid of the error messages, but it still doesn't do anything as far as I can see. FYI, it needs two variables, but that's basicly all I know. I tried KillBuildingFromBuildList(city, BuildingType("IMPROVE_SILO")) myself, but as I said, it appeared not to work.
          So if you want to use this option, you'll have to do a lot of experimenting (I'm doing this myself as well but I have a lot of other things to do that are more important right now). Should you decide to try this (which I don't advice if you have little time or patience ), please share any info you find you find (even things that don't work), many people could profit from this.

Locutus
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

No, this is *not* a double post! I was experimenting a little but it didn't work Just ignore this one please...
            (Markos/Dan, feel free to delete this post)
            [This message has been edited by Locutus (edited March 15, 2000).]

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will probably play with it a little will this weekend. I love this kinda stuff. I will let you know if I find anything out or not.

------------------
              Yours in gaming,
              ~Elucidus
              Yours in gaming,
              ~Luc

Comment

Locutus:

Nah, they won't delete anything unless it's brimming with swears and profanity, so the next time you want a post deleted, just think of four or five vulgar obscenities

Elucidus:
                Okay. But I was wondering what attributes you've been able to give them?
                Existence is Futile.

Comment

The easiest way to insert different attributes for each civ is to give each race a initial tech that includes the race specifics and then incorporate that into the specific units that you want.... example give the americans the knowledge of say American specialization. Then later say when tanks are available you want to give them the specific use of the M1 then include that as a requirement for production... I think that this is the easiest way to allow for special attributes based on the limited CTP base... by the way you'll need to make American specialization tech available for the other civs when they reach the last tech on your tree... just so that there isn't any Greeks learning American secrets unless you want to give it to them.....

Omni Out

Comment

That works for special units, but I am trying to give special attributes as far as +/- to Food, Production, Science, Happiness, etc...

------------------
                    Yours in gaming,
                    ~Elucidus
                    Yours in gaming,
                    ~Luc

Comment

Elucidus,

I figured OmniGod's idea out myself, but as you said, you want to give special attributes instead of units. Of course, if no solution can be found to give wonders through SLIC or by other means (which is not unlikely, people have been looking for a solution for this for a long time) then OmniGod's idea could be used to make very cheap wonders come available with the race specific advances. Of course You'd still need the SLIC-code to make sure every Civilization gets the advance it needs.

Nordicus,

I know, and even then they'll generally just close the tread and give the author a vacation to Mingapulco instead of deleting a post But he, I could at least give it a try. As a Dutch saying goes, if you don't shoot, you'll always miss (poor translation, but still ).

Locutus

Comment

Nice Idea. If the other fails I'll give it a try. Although I am having map problems (see other post I am about to write) right no so it will be a little while before I mess with SLIC. Thanks for the input though.

------------------
                        Yours in gaming,
                        ~Elucidus
                        Yours in gaming,
                        ~Luc

Comment

How about using specific government types that would have the race specific bonuses? In this case the Americans would get the tech American Specialization which would give the government American Despotism which is regular despotism modified for American bonuses. American Specialization would also be one of the prerequisites for the tech American Democracy which gives the government American Democracy. Similar for other civs and other governments.

Comment

Yeah....But Mingapulco is irrelevant. They will be assimilated....

Yeah, I had the same idea, Paul. Another good way to give an aip distinctive character....
                            You can't set diplomacy regarding the governments chosen by the aip, but if you have a group of civs inevitably arrive at the same government, you can set aips to one another as you like....
                            Existence is Futile.

Comment

I'm going to do some research on every option mentioned here next week because I'll need the same kind of thing for a WWII scenario. Maybe a combination of these options would be the best solution...

Nordicus,

Mingapulco is *not* irrelavent, I won't be able to post here anymore Mingapulco is insufficent (but they *will* be assimilated )

Locutus

Comment

Working...
                              X