Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum Number of Units

Hi, people...

I was wondering if anyone has looked into having more than 200 units available in one game? If not, are there any good programming types around here who could look into having CtP able to use over 200 sprites during a game?
    Any suggestions, esp. workaround ideas , would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom.
    Existence is Futile.

Hey Nordicus, No sorry, I'm still looking for the answer myself because I ran into that problem with all my ww2 units for the scenario. The game would crash and say something like sprite id 00 invalid. But I haven't really looked into a workaround yet. Are you asking this because of all the units I sent you??? Are you running into troubles with it????

------------------
    Gemini

Comment

yet, we have to make more modern units
      ==========================
      www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Nordicus,

The only way a "programmer" could fix this would be to hack Activisions code, which is illegal. On top of that, Apolyton would not allow the code on their site since they are a reputable site. Strike that idea.

I'm getting old and the memory is not what it used to be but it seems like I recall something about getting past the unit limitation by manipulating the sprite numbers. (Maybe this was to get from 100 to 200 units.) It was something about creating all units with numbers below 100 and then manually changing them to higher numbers later on.

What happens if you have less than 200 units but you use sprite numbers which are above 200? This would tell you where the problem was and help in finding a solution for it.

Don
        Don,
        CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Yeah, it seems impossible to have an extensive mod encompassing all Eras with expanded units for each Era--a civ-specific mod with units specific only to one civ or race seems quite impossible. For an aip-specific one, same thing, but it could be done in three sections, if one wants aip-specific units in a future scenario as well, but, like today, civs can only survive when allied anyway, the units for groups of aips become more generic.

Gemini:

Yeah, I did have some trouble with getting them going--had a look at the pics though--in the game, but this is a problem I ran into trying to fit in all the units I was considering for an aip-specific mod--for instance, I wanted different types of chariots for European and Asian civs, but I had to settle for one type for all.
          Concentrating on the Ancient-to-Renaisance period, I think I could squeeze in just 200.

Don:

Sounds like you speak from experience

I do recall something about that as well, but no one has any more information on that--the archives are helpful either.
          Guess it couldn't hurt to try...

quote:

What happens if you have less than 200 units but you use sprite numbers which are above 200? This would tell you where the problem was and help in finding a solution for it.

Huh. Not sure. That is an idea though--I'll try that. Thanks.

Later,

Tom.

Existence is Futile.

Comment

As soon as you use a sprite number 200 or above you get the "can't find sprite 00" error message.

This is regardless of the number of sprites you are using.

Also, WesW said he ran into a problem which was thought to do with the max number of Sprites, improvements, wonders which he was trying to use.

Comment

Looks like it is a hard-coded number of sprite numbers problem while Wes' is a hard-coded number of wonders/advances/units/some combo problem. CtP loves hard-coded code.

------------------
              Don,
              Apolyton CtPMaps
              Don,
              CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Well, thanks anyways, guys.
                Oh well. I may try something later on, despite how futile it seems...
                Existence is Futile.

Comment

Working...
                X