Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding 25 civs to a premade map of earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 25 civs to a premade map of earth?

I have made a map of the earth, 140 by 220 tiles, it has 8 civs on it, but I would like to place 25 civs. I have tried placing the civ starting positions for my 25 chosen civs, but when I restart the game it crashes? does anybody know how I would go about adding 25 civs to a pre-made world map?

Mapmaking has so many variables that it is easy to introduce a problem in most anything you do. In this case though, you never got off the ground. You can't add Civs to a game. The game has to be started with the number you plan on using.

While you don't want to hear this AFTER you have already made your map, your only option is to start a new game with 25 Civs and THEN modify the map how you want it. Anything short of this will cause untold grief for you down the road. (Isn't that right, Nordicus.)

Incidentally, there is also something else wrong but I can't tell you that from the info I have. Adding 25 starting locations would not crash the game. You can add up to 44 start locations without a problem. They simply would not show up, just your original 8 would.

Did you clear the original 8? Did you clear the map before starting a new one? Did you set start by Civ or by Player? Did you save it as a saved map or a saved scenario?

My best advice to you is to spend some time reading through both the CtP forums and the CtP archives here.

I have some very detailed instructions (including how to start a game with more than 8 Civs) which I will find and email to you later today when I have more time.

Don

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited March 08, 2000).]
    Don,
    CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Thanks for the info! I will have to go away and re-design for a day or two. You say if I start the map with 25 civs, then edit it will work? is this right?

I do have rather a nice map of the earth however - how do I go about sharing it on sites like this?

Comment

antmanbrooks,

Before you completely redesign your map, are you aware of the import/export map function? It can save you a lot of time.

Just in case you're not, this is the case: If you go into the chat box (with the '-key) and type /exportmap your map (only the terrain, not the cities and units) will be saved as a text-file in your ctp_program\ctp folder. You can import it again with /importmap . Before you do this you must clear the terrrain (Cheat Menu -> Terrain -> Clear) and it only works if the imported map has the same size as the current one. So if you start a new game (with 25 players) on a (random) map with the same size as your world map and import your map you don't have to redesign the entire map again.
        Just thought you might want to know this

It seems we are will be getting a lot of world maps out here shortly. Nordicus is working on a world map as well, only slightly larger (246 by 492) and if I'm not mistaking skorpion59 will soon publish one as well...

Locutus
        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Hey, guys...

Locutus, Don--I wanted to ask: how do you keep the resources from getting mixed up when you import the map? Is there any way? This happens all the time and seems somewhat random--when I import it several times, I notice the screw-ups (good1 switched around with good2 and a lot of added goods near ones which I placed so carefully) are not the same each time. Any thoughts?
          Existence is Futile.

Comment

Nordicus,

Yes, you mentioned this to me before. I had a short look at this and it all seems to happen pretty randomly. I may have a good look at it later, but I just don't have the time now, other things have higher priority. Maybe Don has some answers, he's a bigger expert on this than I am (hell, I don't think anyone knows more about CtP maps than Don, not even Activision)...

Locutus
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Locutus,

thanks for the importmap/exportmap command, but i don't seem to be able to get it to work? When I designed my map in the first place it had a mod from the apolyton site, do you know if this will make any difference.
              Don sent me some really good stuff, but I think i'll probably have to start afresh!

How do I put my map on the site anyway? I think it's pretty good but i'm kind of new to this sort of thing. Anybody want to give me their verdict?

Comment

Hey Locutus and Nordicus!

It's good to see this part of the forum coming back to life. Coincidentally, Nordicus is back.

I had some success with the goods on my Nordic map (70x140) using the /importmap function by deleting one of the goods paired on a terrain in terrain.txt. Or I adjust the probabilities, so that I know I'll need more Caribou than oil for example. I keep the "setup terrain.txt" file handy for when I'm ready to import my map. Then only the goods that I left in Terrain.txt come in, or they show up according to the probabilities that I set (like .80 - .20). It's great if I don't need the second good, but I still have to go replacing one good with another when I need both.

Comment

AntmanBrooks,

When you export the 8-Civ map, the number of Civs will not be part of the export file. So, yes, you can export your existing map, exit CtP, set CtP up for 25 Civs, start CtP, start a New game with the 25 Civs using a map of the same size as your 8-Civ map, clear the map off, import your 8-Civ map, set the start locations for all 25 Civs, save the map and exit CtP.

My site has instructions for HOW to do each of these items step-by-step. Download the Instructions.txt file at the bottom of the Instructions Menu options (left side of screen) and read through them very carefully.

The particular items to read/do are:
                  Creating .inp files (explained by Locutus above, use /exportmap mapname.inp in the Chat Window)
                  Changing the number of Civs
                  Changing CtP Map Sizes(if your map is a non-standard size)
                  Loading .inp Chat Window input files (use /importmap mapname.inp in the Chat Window)
                  Setting Start Locations
                  Saving Regular Maps (to play with the existing Civs) or
                  Saving Scenario Maps (to be able to choose new Civs, you must then read the scenario setup info in the V1.2 readme.doc file)

Like I said, it is complicated to understand. That is why I started CtpMaps. One small mistake in any step will render the map useless. One wrong save out of place will render it useless also. I lost many maps after spending 12-15 hours working on them before I understood the correct procedures.

And, NEVER (repeat NEVER) create or modify a map with any files other than the original CtP files. Do NOT have Apolyton Pack, Medieval Mod or any other files in place when working on maps. If you do, no other user will be able to use your map unless they also have the same Pack/Mod files set up the same way you do.

If you still have questions, which you will, let me know where you are stuck at. A bit of advice would be to forget about your map until you have mastered the art of map importation/exportation and manipulation.

I haven't looked at your map yet but I will. Was it saved as a save game or a scenario game?

Also, email DanQ or MarkG at Apolyton to find out their preferred method of submitting maps to Apolyton.

Don
                  Don,

Comment

Nordicus,

About the time I started looking for a fix to your resource problem, I had to jump into the CtPMaps site. Now that it is up, I will get back to finding out what is happening.

Don
                    Don,

Comment

Don:

Np. Sounds good.

Locutus:

Hey, that's fine.
                      Existence is Futile.

Comment

Hey,
                        Nice one guys, I've managed to get my map working 100%, I will now try and master the art of getting it posted on this site. Never done this before so here goes. Does anyone fancy giving it a try and telling me what they think????

Thanks again for the help, probably would have spent a good few weeks figuring it all out if you hadn't told me some of the stuff!

Comment

AB,

Send a copy my way. I'm anxious to see it. Be sure and let me know if it is a regular saved map file or a scenario saved map file. If it is a scenario saved map file, be sure and send the scenario directory along or at least the map name.

------------------
                          Don,
                          Apolyton CtPMaps
                          Don,

Comment

Working...
                          X