Help on map size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on map size

How can I change the default map sizes? I've found map.txt, but changing the size there doesn't seem to have any effect.

The actual map sizes you play on are changed in const.txt. The other file changes are so the game knows how to deal with the new sizes. Nordicus could probably fill you in on this.
    Don,
    CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Vlad:
      Hey...
      Geez, I just remembered the files you sent--I'm sorry I've been having trouble with my mail server recently, plus I forgot to save them to a file. Do'h! Sometimes waves of idiocy overcome me and things go wonky. But if could send those again, I'd still like to have a look
      About the map size change, Don is right, you have to change these in Const.txt as well as map.txt. (Be sure to have correct ratios for the sizes too.) Even so, this won't matter to the AI (it won't understand the change) :
      input size_of_world
      tri a24_48_map(size_of_world, 1152, 250.0)
      tri a32_64_map(size_of_world, 2048, 250.0)
      tri a48_96_map(size_of_world, 4608, 250.0)
      tri a64_128_map(size_of_world, 1152, 250.0)
      tri a70_140_map(size_of_world, 8192, 250.0)
      This is the default setting--italicized line is nonexistent (no such map size), and the bold numbers are incorrect. Here is the correct inputs and ones for larger maps:

// N: new map sizes added, old ones corrected--8/11/99
      input size_of_world
      tri a24_48_map(size_of_world, 1152, 250.0)
      tri a32_64_map(size_of_world, 2048, 250.0)
      tri a48_96_map(size_of_world, 4608, 250.0)
      tri a64_128_map(size_of_world, 8192, 250.0) // corrected..N
      tri a70_140_map(size_of_world, 9800, 250.0) // corrected..N
      tri a86_172_map(size_of_world, 14792, 250.0)
      tri a102_204_map(size_of_world, 20808, 250.0)
      tri a118_236_map(size_of_world, 27848, 250.0)
      tri a134_268_map(size_of_world, 35912, 250.0)
      tri a150_300_map(size_of_world, 45000, 250.0)
      tri a166_332_map(size_of_world, 55112, 250.0)
      tri a182_364_map(size_of_world, 66248, 250.0)
      tri a198_396_map(size_of_world, 78408, 250.0)
      tri a214_428_map(size_of_world, 91592, 250.0)
      tri a230_460_map(size_of_world, 105800,250.0)
      tri a246_492_map(size_of_world, 121032,250.0)
      The AI would benefit from having correct inputs, so can use these or if you need the file, let me know.
      If you're having trouble seeing if the new map size works, try a big change first (I f**ked around for hours before I realized that it in fact had become a larger world--couldn't tell because it was so slight) and the size of the radar cursor, that white square, is the best indicator.
      Hope this helps.

Later.

N.

------------------
      "There can be no maximum of creation without a concomitant maximum of destruction, no supreme good without supreme evil"--Heller, paraphrasing Nietzsche.

"The more passion for the argument, the less evidence for it"--Russel.

"I always wake up angry, cuz I always wake up me..."--Ministry.

"Ak ak-ak-ak ak, AK ak-ak, AK AKakak AK!"--Martian.
      Existence is Futile.

Comment

Nordicus-

Thanks for the help. I had found the map specs in map.txt and constant.txt, but didn't know which one (or both) to change. I'll change them both and see what happens.

You mentioned that the AI will be confused by the new map size. How so? Will this seriously affect game play? Is it easy to fix?

I'll send you the files for my mod again.

Comment

Vlad:
          np. Yeah, both must be changed.

The AI may be confused by this:
          tri a64_128_map(size_of_world, 1152, 250.0)
          tri a70_140_map(size_of_world, 8192, 250.0)

It already is confused. These are inputs found in everyone's copy of CTP--the 1152 number is supposed to be the total area of the world, in squares (64 times 128--for a default "Large" map is not 1,152--it's 8,192 squares). This means that if you play on CTP's "large" map size (default), the AI will think (is thinking) the world is a small map, 24 X 48 (1,152). And the AI now thinks the world on a "gigantic" size map is actually large. ("Gigantic" size: 70 times 140 equals 9,800, not 8,192.)
          So, I haven't pondered all the ramifications of this, but as far as settling, expansion, warfare, etc., I assumed that the AI would not behave as it would if it knew the size of the world around itself. The code in map and Const will probably be mucked up because of these incorrect inputs.
          There are other factors I'm certain affect this similarly, but I have only reason, little proof.
          I personally know that when I used larger and larger maps (up to 188 X 236), the AI acted differently--I didn't take notes, but I recall an unusal apathy about exploration esp. There is some code regarding distances to and from things, but I have not written new code yet to include this new inputs. I think new code is needed also for empire size unhappiness, distance, max. populations, etc., on these big bad maps, since there so much damn room to move into. Also, something for keeping some cities "small town" types, since when in the real world does every town starting out necessarily grow into a mega, 2.3 million citizen metropolis?
          Anyway, the way to correct the AI "confusion," is to input all the sizes you're going to use for your maps (see above).

Okay, I look forward to your files.

Later.

N.

------------------
          "There can be no maximum of creation without a concomitant maximum of destruction, no supreme good without supreme evil"--Heller, paraphrasing Nietzsche.

"The more passion for the argument, the less evidence for it"--Russel.

"Why sell a man what he wants? Sell 'em what he doesn't need, pretend he's got eight legs and two stomachs and money to burn. It's wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!"--"Allie Fox."

"Remember Salzburg!"

Existence is Futile.

Comment

Working...
          X