• Show
Clear All

• Your opinion...

What did you think of CTP?
    Good
    100.00%
    Ungood/Bad
    0.00%
    Now just don't go forming any angry mobs now, you hear?

I'm a longtime Civ and SMAC addict, tried it, and didn't care for it.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it brought a lot of great ideas into the mix- ie public works. But the city and other interface screens were unwieldy and not very user-friendly.
    "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

I have made no bones about my opinion, CTP is by far my favorite game and still struggling to learn scripting but learned a little, for scenario making, but do love the great complexity of options available.

My Favorite Game!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Yeah unfortunatly I have to aggree that the interface wasn't very user friendly, but in comparision to Civ2 I never needed one and half an hour to play one turn, and I had more cities than in Civ2. PW is a great help.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Well, I think that the CTP interface amongst the best I've ever used in a TBS game - though there is of course room for improvement, and the great thing about CTP is that you can improve it, and I have. You'd be hard-pressed to alter the interface for Civ or SMAC.

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
            Well, I think that the CTP interface amongst the best I've ever used in a TBS game - though there is of course room for improvement, and the great thing about CTP is that you can improve it, and I have. You'd be hard-pressed to alter the interface for Civ or SMAC.
            That be the reason I do love this game so!!

Although, as previously stated, my scripting leaves much to be desired, I hack away and make scenarios to suit me..and play MP to suit me..and enjoy the heck out of it!!

Peace

Grandpa Troll
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I'd say good.

It's not installed on my computer at hte moment, but I think I'll put it back on after the exams.
              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Well just started playing CTP for the first time for months the wes version. I'll be back in England in two months, so I hope the online games still happen, 'cos I cannot get online at home. I do all my posting at work.

Comment

Hey Boney

CTP is the best period........
                  “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                  Or do we?

Comment

Back in the UK now, so I will be visiting here a little more regularly now and hopefully will be able to play on-line again. Here I have broadband which helps. Sad to leave Thailand though 'cos I lived there for many years. Now got to find myself a job.

Comment

Answering the question of the poll is a bit difficult as my first and only experience with CtP (to the exception of the tutorial) was frustrating.

I started my first game quite happy with what I had seen with the tutorial, very good and original features (PW), interesting ideas (though sometimes strangely implemented), a curious but powerfull interface...

The game was my best Civ like game experience so far and I was really enjoying the game until the discovery of a given tech. From one turn to the other, several wonders became obsolete, some improvement stopped providing their full adavantage and my empire suddenly fell into chaos when several cities revolted and aligned with other AI civs while others' unhappiness became so difficult to calm down they became themselves almost impossible to manage... I would have appreciated a message reminding me that the wonders would become obsolete in order to adjust some settings before the disaster. As CtP2 was about to be published, I ended the game here and never gave CtP a new chance it certainly deserves. CtP and the Celestial Mod are still installed on my computer but this frustrating experience rears its ugly head each time I am thinking about starting a new game...
                      Last edited by Tamerlin; October 1, 2003, 06:55.
                      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Sure, the interface is not supremely obvious, but with so many types and levels of activities, should it be?

You can battle on a military, diplomatic or economic (and mixtures thereof) level. I love using Clerics and Corporate Branches as my shock troops. Convert enough cities and that civ will assuredly attack you first! Enslave his settlers and you will soon be going mano-a-mano. Just make sure that you're making a beeline for the Siege Engine (in MedMod.)

With the ease of tweaking files (I have civs like the Corsicans, the Rhineland Confederation and the Tatars) you can really make the game do so much. And a plug for Wes' MedMod; it is an outstanding upgrade for the game.

Wonders expire! In real life, you didn't know what it would do for you. Enjoy it while you can. I had to laugh about a post a year ago concerning a game where one player was using a French version of the game, and so another player was receiving all messages in French.! How dare they! This game is about internationalization! Change all the city names! That way you don't have any idea where the capital is! Use Czech city names, and all of a sudden they look much more exotic. (I've tried Cyrillic, they don't work!)

As for keeping cities happy, Buildings, move the sliders occasionally, don't rely too much on Wonders, move laborers to entertainment if you don't really need that new city building all that soon. And don't ever lose your Capitol!

Comment

Working...
                        X