Two questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions...

When I bought this game, I was disappointed in the units available. It seems strange to me that they are so basic. Civ2 had a wonderful variety of units, especially in the modern age. I want different kinds of infantry! I want howitzers and artillery seperate! I want a Navy that has more than just destroyers in it! Where are the Helicopters and Alpine Troops and AEGIS Cruisers? The cruise missiles? The units that show the difference between atomic bombs that are dropped from planes and super long-ranged ICBM's that can orbit the Earth and hit their own silo? Why is the most primitive bomber the B-52? I want B-29's and B-17's! I WANT VARIETY!!!

Now that I've said that, what I want to know is this? Are there any files I can download that contain new units? Mainly modern ones? I'm sure other people were also disappointed about this part of the game. I've seen Harlan's work, and am impressed. He is to be commended. However, I'd like to be able to research Infantry and Cruise Missiles in normal games, as opposed to Scenarios.

My second question is this: Is there a map of the Earth that someone has created? I HATE the computer generated maps, since it always sticks me in the middle of a continent that is pure forests, or swamp, or tundra.

Any help with either of these would be appreciated. Thanks.
    "You're an American."

"That's right. From America."

CP,

Celestial Dawn's mod does a good bit of rearranging and adding units such as you described. I may just have to study the units.txt file and add some things that you would like, too. You will need to get the unit creation utility 2.5 to do this, though, as it's much more complicated in CTP than it was in civ. Since the game covers a much longer timespan than civ did, I guess that's why a larger variety of modern units weren't included.

BTW, when I saw your nick, I was reminded of an interview from a few years back where Michael J. Fox quipped that the U.S. might invade Canada in a Wag the Dog scenario one day. It would be called Operation Leafblower.
    I thought it was pretty funny.

Comment

Working...
    X