Ancient Sprites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Sprites

I'm currently working on a few more ancient sptites. Is anyone interested? First sprite is for a slinger (based on Baleric Punic war slinger), then I'll do a basic swordsman.

Slinger has animated movement for all 5 movement views (I'm probably going to skip adding shadows) and I'm just working on death scene and battle scenes. Should be able to do this over the weekend and then - using the help offered by the other postings - have it ready by the end of next week. If this goes to plan swordsman should be ready quite quick after that.

Given how difficult it is to make a unit, it is better if there is no repetition in work. Right now I've got the ancient era pretty well covered by using Age of Empires graphics. It is much easier to make a unit using those to start with, even animated. Yesterday I made a Catapult complete with five views and shadows (though not animated) in less than an hour.

There are also lots of graphics to make modern (WW2 onwards) or futuristic units quickly. Some games, tons of free 3D web graphics. What's really difficult is the time in between: Medieval, Renaissance and Industrial eras. Tom if you're making units from scratch I would love to see you devote your energies making Galleons, Ironclads, Crossbowmen, Arquebusiers and such. A Slinger is good, but I could make a Swordsman with AoE stuff in an hour most likely.

Comment

Hello, I'm new and I have a question for Harland. Do you think it is possible for a game like this to be given new graphics? Such as exploring other planets and building colonies there like starsiege? I think that would be cool. I really don't feel like buying civ3, since I am low on money now. Also, what can SMAC do in space? I have not really played the game.

Comment

Sorry, I meant Harlan. I was kinda tired and just typing.Well, is it possible to create new terrian?

Comment

Harlan - Thanks for the reply. Not exactly sure how copying AOE figures stands up to US Copyright law. I read one of the other threads on that and it doesn't seem that thats altogether ethical.

I wasn't plannning on using crossbows in my scenario as its no advantage over a long bow of the same period. However was thinking of an arquebusier (if thats how you spell it) plus a Cog and Galleon. Thought about Ironclad but intended in my scenario to jump from Ship of the line to Dreadnought so probably won't bother with that.

Comment

Tom,
            When I mentioned specific units like Galleon, I was only providing an example. The main point is that generally, I see there is gonna be a scarcity of units from around 500 AD to 1900 AD and so I hope people who make units from scratch do so more from that era. Other units from that time, like the Cog you mentioned, would be great as well.

As far as the ethics go, it may be a bit questionable, but then so is making a tape from a CD. I don't think anybody's crying over it. Having made many units for Civ2, I can say people made images from whereever they could take them, including other games very often. I don't think anybody's gonna be crying over it. Otherwise, the number of new units for CTP is gonna dribble out at a glacial pace, given the difficulties of making five angles, shadows and such.

DJ. Currently there is no way to edit terrain, but that may change when the scenario editor comes out. Most any other type of graphic is editable now: I hope we start seeing Star Wars units and such soon.

Comment

Oh. Well I'll wait and beat this game again. I hope they come out with a patch that will make the AI much harder and a real challenge of war. On civ2 I was saving other nations by giving them extra units to fight me with and building cities for them in cheat mode.

Comment

Working...
              X