Freeciv 1.14 included on Knoppix 3.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeciv 1.14 included on Knoppix 3.2

For those who've gotten used to the Freeciv windows client and now want to try the real deal (like the CMA) without any installation hassles , here's a solution: Knoppix 3.2

Knoppix is a special Linux distro that boots and runs completely from CD. No harddisk required at all. Your hardware will be automatically detected at startup and you can make a special floppy or USB memory stick that contains your personal settings and files. You only need to check if your pc can boot from CD-rom (all modern PC's do).

Note: The ISO weighs in at about 700mb.
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

wicked... does it support all modern chipsets like VIa KT333 and similar?
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Haven't tried it with the Via KT333 chipset myself but Knoppix 3.2 is pretty up to date when it comes to hardware support. Just try it out and see what happens, that would be my advice.
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

I did >try< it, but haven't tested it extensively under KT333, seems to work just fine.

Check hardware compatibility database at http://www.mandrake.com . That's a different Linux company, but the system core is almost the same. I'm absolutely sure there are other, maybe even better, Linux hardware compatibility databases.
        Last edited by maciek; April 29, 2003, 13:31.
        Military Research and Simulations Initiative

Comment

That seems very cool. They have 650MB, which is not all that much compared to the volumen of available programs, and choose to include freeciv.

edit: They use compression and really have 2GB. Not that impressive then, but still nice.

*Makes note to make a knoppix CD as rescue media*
          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by maciek

Check hardware compatibility database at http://www.mandrake.com . That's a different Linux company, but the system core is almost the same. I'm absolutely sure there are other, maybe even better, Linux hardware compatibility databases.
            Knoppix seems to be based on Debian.

Comment

It's a tribute to the status and acceptability of freeciv that it's included in distribution packages eg in Mandrake 9.1.

BTW on a slight tangent, the Melbourne PC Users Group will be introducing Freeciv (together with Half-Life) in its gaming network

Comment

Yes I do know Knoppix is based on Debian. But since the kernels are pretty much the same, you could use Mandrake's hardware database if you can't find anything else.
                Military Research and Simulations Initiative

Comment

Working...
                X