Clear All

• LongTurn Freeciv

Hi

We (civ.org.pl team) would like to start another Freeciv experiment -
    LongTurn Freeciv. It consist in plaing one big game (30 players?) with 24h
    timeout. All you need to do is only make 1 round every day. It takes about
    2-5 minuts (big map). Of course every player can contact with other
    players via email or jabber, so diplomatic situation will be more
    complicated and alliances will be much more important.
    More info (as always) at http://www.civ.org.pl/freeciv/slow-eng.php

Becouse we would like to start game as fast as possible all players that
    would like to play should inform as via e-mail or forum
    (forums.civ.org.pl). Remember that you can play even if you don't have
    much time. All you need is about 5 minuts every day.

Regards
    Adam

I've visited your site before and I like the concept. I was wondering when this would be mentioned here.
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Heh, my poor memory..... I forgot to write here

Comment

Some more details, when is the exact starting time btw?

First LongTurn Freeciv game will start at 16 March 2003. It will be played using Freeciv version 1.13 or 1.14 (we will decide tomorrow) and McZapkies modified ruleset. Currently in 'download' section we have modpack for 1.13 version, but we will add 1.14 version as soon, as it is possible. To join LongTurn Freeciv game inform us that you want to play at our forum and look there every day, becouse all informations and news will appear only there.
        If enough players will be intrested we will start another LongTurn game with some other ruleset modification in next few weeks. More info coming soon.
        BEFORE JOIN:

* DOWNLOAD! - new unit tiles
        * Take a look at modified parts of manual.

Following rules are prepared to use on slow-motion freeciv multiplayer game (with TIMEOUT=24h).

Summary:

* Completly new units: cart and truck, compare with modified manual page.
        * Science rate lowered (40% for Despotism, etc), corruption rate slightly lowered.
        * Palace is adding 100% of science bonus, it can be set without Masonry.

* Min_city_dist=3
        * Faster movement of units, enhanced visible range.
        * Rather big map, 100x80, gen=1, with realistic amounts of terrain type.

OK, but why to use such slow server (with 24h timeout)?

1. classical multiplayer game with timeout=60s is rather like RTS deathmatch
        2. it is hard to develop advanced strategy during the on-line game
        3. playing big maps on the on-line server is boring
        4. players are usually disconnecting then something goes wrong and trying anoter on-line game
        5. players are disconnecting if a game is too long or they must go home/to bed /to work etc.
        6. modem players can't play on-line games if they must pay for the connection time

Of course, the initial phase of the game should be quick (nobody want to spend weeks observing new settler production).
        After initial phase of growth, game will become off-line.
        You can join at anytime, make your move, revise your strategy, setup your production, and then disconnect.
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, I haven't got enough time to make this

Comment

Update:

One of the organizers is ill, the game will start next week.

Comment

My illness isn't only reason for changing start date. We still have some technical problems. Of course new players still can join us.

Comment

Good news! The Freeciv longturn game has officially started.

I take it you've made a complete recovery Gislan?

Comment

Working...
                X