ascii freeciv client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ascii freeciv client

just think about it, wouldn't that be cool? /me thinks i'm going to help write one... should it be conio/ncurses, or hardcore stdout/stdin?

Could be an interesting project ;-)

I've begun work on an SDL library for text mode (ascii) games. I chose SDL since it is extremely portable (more so than ncurses) and contains a number of very nice features like threads and timers that actually work on all platforms, and allows colours, bold types and transparent windows.

If you're interested I can complete the basic feature set and send it to you.

My biggest problem is finding a good fixed-width Truetype font that isn't encumbered by bad licensing.

Comment

the thing about a textmode client that relies on sdl, is that it isn't really a textmode client, you know? it ends up being just an inferior sdl client imo, and it still has the same graphics requirements and such. what i would want to be a part of is a real text mode client. i dunno. i was thinking the best way to go about it would be to make a short list of functions that include color, getch() (not line buffered), functions to get/set console size, and then wrap them to ncurses on linux, and write them for win32 (making use of this junk)

this will take some more thinking...

Comment

Each square can have terraintype, specials, roads, unit and flag.
        I'm just wondering how it's possible to fit all the information
        needed in a civgame into a text-only console.

Comment

Working...
        X