XPM directory problems in Configure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XPM directory problems in Configure

I am trying to compile freeciv in cygwin. When I run the configure script, it says /X11/xpm.h is not found. I have tried changing the command line argument --with-xpm-include=DIR where DIR is the directory that has /X11/xpm.h in it. I have also tried changing the directory to where xpm.h is. I have also tried moving /X11/xpm.h to the root directory. And finally I have tried changing the --with-xpm-prefix option and moved the xpm library files and /X11/xpm.h files to the /lib and /include directories. None of this seems to work. Interesting enough, the xpm library is found without a problem. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Phil

Try moving the X11 directory (which contains xpm.h) into /usr/include (a hacky but easy solution)

If that doesn't work then post the ./configure output here.
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

I tried moving the X11 directory, which only has xpm.h and simx.h in it to /usr/include and still got the same error. I tried a couple of combinations and have the ./configure output in the attached text file. Thanks for your help.

Also, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, or is another problem, but I didn't define a FUNCPROTO. Configure didn't error, but didn't seem to like this omission. So since I've never heard of this I figured I would ask what it is and what I would need to do to get this going if it would be helpful.

Thanks again for your help

Phil
      Attached Files
      Phil

Comment

Umm, I really don't know what is wrong then. Should work...
        http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Problem Solved XPM & Cygwin

It seems Cygwin's X11 library is only a simulated version of the library. They use simx.h as the header file. The regular XPM headers and library (xlib.h, xutil.h ...) are not included with the typical installation. However, you can include them separately, which I did and then everything compiles and makes as normal.

Phil

Comment

This cygwin problem seems to be a recurring issue. This should probably be included in a FAQ.
            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
            X