FUADEC initial reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUADEC initial reports

Well, it's been one hectic day with up's and down's and it's late and I'm tired. This sunday we have another busy day ahead, albeit more relaxing.

Some initial reports:

The conference included a discussion about Freeciv in general, the site, code maintenance (bug reports, patches etc..) and the direction it should take. I'll do a writeup of this later in the week.

When it comes to innovation on micromanagement Freeciv blows Civ 1,2,3/CTP1&2 out of the water. I've seen several projects which have been developed in the past year which use clientside AI (agents) to take over various task like city management, unit exploring/patrol, an intelligent goto function.

A new settler system is planned for the next release which finally solves the "settler battery"-cheat in Civ2 and introduces some new features like experience (a settler can gain experience and become more productive)

Mass unit management functions for MP like the creation of battlegroups, setting up stagepoints, selecting large. Think the functions of RTS combined with Civ.

I've come away quite impressed, this could have happened to Civ2 if it had been open sourced.

Instead it's FC
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

So, when do we get to see some screensh^H^H^H^Hpictures from this big event? :-)

Comment

I'm mailing them to Reinier as we speak. Honest!

I can post a few here too, but i'll have to resize them a bit to fit.
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

Here's one after we got the computers and the beamer up and running.
        Attached Files

Comment

As FUADEC was hosted in a cafe getting fair priced drinks was never a problem. In fact we were right at the source!
          Attached Files

Comment

Sooo... with all that beer, how many of you fell drunk under the tables? C'mon, you can tell us ;-)

Anyway, now we know why you couldn't get those USB keyboards working... ;-p

Comment

Working...
            X