Freeciv map generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeciv map generator

If you're browsing through the Freeciv you're bound to find some hidden gems. One of those are the Freeciv maps. Which are generated in a very realistic way thanks to the use of special algorithms. Here are a few screenshots of some generated maps. The patch (by Karen Yeats) for this improved map generator won't be upcoming 1.13 release but will be included in the CVS on a later date.

For those who are savy enough to work with CVS (not me ) you can also find the fractalgenerator.diff there to test it out yourself

Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Interesting: no more specials "over three down one" pattern. One weakness: all the ocean specials are right next to land. I suppose the algorithmist wanted to not waste specials way out at sea where no city could use them, but some should be in the second row of tiles away from land. Especially whales, which seems to come close to shore only near certain rich, cold currents.

This may not be the place for such a suggestion, but without the pattern there won't be "hidden" specials in grassland tiles that anyone would have a snowball's chance of finding. Perhaps genuine specials for grassland squares could be added?
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Fractalicious.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Also, is there a Civ2 pattern switch to make it follow the "over three down one" layout (but not necessarily the same patterns in all respects)?
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
          One weakness: all the ocean specials are right next to land. I suppose the algorithmist wanted to not waste specials way out at sea where no city could use them, but some should be in the second row of tiles away from land. Especially whales, which seems to come close to shore only near certain rich, cold currents.
          Indeed, and quite apart from being more realistic, it would make more of a challenge in placing cities to gain the most of the resources. Its much easier to include a resource next to the shore in a city radius than if it is two squares out.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
            Also, is there a Civ2 pattern switch to make it follow the "over three down one" layout (but not necessarily the same patterns in all respects)?
            It is clear form the source that this generator will only kick in with generator = 5. Generators 1 - 4 will continue to produce their existing patterns. There are no other switches controlling the layout. Like generator = 1, this type of map is designed to be "unfair" - i.e. not all civilizations will have the same space for expansion, as in 2,3 and 4.

I've only had quick look so far, but don't see anything controlling resource layout, so I'm assuming that an existing routine in Freeciv is handling this. IIRC the other map generators do not use the 3 by 1 layout of Civ2 either and also have no resources away from the coast. Changing this would therefore involve attacking this other routine in Freeciv rather than the map generators. Is this desirable? I prefer the more random layout myself, although the "always near the coast" thing might be worth tackling.
            Last edited by Hywel Dda; June 13, 2002, 19:20.

Comment

Thanks for your answers. Wish I had time to poke around in this more.

Comment

Working...
              X