Apolyton unit set for Freeciv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton unit set for Freeciv

Being not entirely satisfied with the Hires set I've decided to collect and design an Apolyton-set which will be released under the GPL. I won't create all units from scratch. My plan is to ask scenario designers if they would donate some of their units to the set. Once I have a reasonable collection I'll set up a survey to see what units have the best fit for the general user.

Planning and roadmap to follow...
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Step 1 : Set Goal

While starting a project maybe easy, finishing one is another. My time is limited so I'll probably only work at this during the weekend. I estimate that we'll have final results somewhere around nov/dec. The goal i've set is to create a similar 'cartoony'-civ style set.

Step 2 : Keep the public informed and try to get more help.
    The strength and succes of an open source project is positively related to the participation and interest of the public. While I could probably create my own set quite quickly I doubt that many would see it as the 'standard' set. Once I've collected enough units I'll have to organize things a bit and do a small survey. For the meantime informing the reader (you ) is the main goal.

Step 3 : Collect - Review - Select
    There are plenty of mods available, time to start the great mod hunt!

Step 4 : Touching up

Just finding the right units won't be enough. The final result will probably be a mix of cartoony-semi realistic units without a coherent look. So those units will need a general touchup.

Current state: step 1
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
    X