How do you play Freeciv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you play Freeciv?

Freeciv was originally meant as a multiplayer game - lets see how people use it...
    I play multiplayer over the internet (see fx http://civserver.freeciv.org)
    13.64%
    I play multiplayer on LAN
    0.00%
    I play single player against the AI
    31.82%
    I modify the AI code and let the AI play for me
    9.09%
    I don't play freeciv because I am a windows user and is ignorant of the fact that Freeciv has a windows version
    27.27%
    I don't play Freeciv
    18.18%
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Well me and a friend just got Linux, so I will be looking to play it over the internet, and I will also be playing single player too.

As with this being open soucre, then I'll have a dabble with modifying AI

Comment

Ummm... Maybe you should tell people there is a windows version
      Is Freeciv just civ2 with a few new bits of code. I've seen screenshots and that's what it looked like to me.
      And is the AI any better then civ2 I mean is it worth this poor old 28Kpbs modem spending the download time to get it?
      Are the graphics easily modified.
      And do you need help with graphics?
      Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Freeciv is basically civ2, but with some things that civ 2 players have been wanting. Fx city build queues, simultaneous multiplayer and up to 30 players.
        The freeciv rule and gfx files are much more fleksible than the civ 2 ones.
        And the source is available, so you don't have to resort to hex editing like the poor sods in the civ 2 forum.

Gfx wanted: Nuclear explosion for the isometric view. People faces (the ones at the top of the city window). Maybe a better isometric fallout icon?

I knew that poll option would attract most votes .
        http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

If you want a nuke video I've just made one from a .blend file I had handy.
          Some frames for you... 5th 10th 15th 20th 25th and 30th:

The video's only 30 frames long (if you want more just say I just shortened it because I thought that's probably the best. The res. is 100 * 80 again different sizes are easy to set-up just say what you want.
          Attached Files
          Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Arghh! I can't open the file now I've downloaded it
            I'm trying to find the windows version but I can't can you help

Comment

Whee - cool nuke animation. I will just implement that and then decide if I want more frames.
              Did you create the nuke animation yourself? We can't use graphics we do not own the copyright for.

See http://www.freeciv.org/windows/ for the windows version. It has only the latest stable version, which is rather old.

Comment

I didn't make it myself but there is no copywright for it. I changed bits of it around the way some of the objects acted and added some of the particles myself, I also changed the camera position and the backround.

The video is zipped and I attached it here.
                Attached Files

Comment

Wow I got the game going (eventually) and it's great. I looked through the image files and I found one named small.png and it has all the people and stuff in it. I got this from the misc folder. I changed some stuff the explosions and some of the people. I saved it and was wondering is that all I need to do to change the graphics or was it in the wrong folder?? I found the same files in other folders that looked like scenario folders like engel etc.
                  And upgrade the windows version I want isometric and that's not in this version but sigh I'll live
                  Attached Files

Comment

I know the author and I read his post when he posted this on blendermania so...

If you feel that strongly about it I could do one up myself just it mightn't be as good he obviously put in a lot of time into it and I don't have that much time myself I'm working as a graphics designer for a new game too.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkknight
                      I didn't make it myself but there is no copywright for it.
                      No copyright as in "you don't know who made it" or as in "I know the author transferred it to the public domain". It needs to be the second, or we could get into horrible copyright trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkknight
                        I know the author and I read his post when he posted this on blendermania so...

If you feel that strongly about it I could do one up myself just it mightn't be as good he obviously put in a lot of time into it and I don't have that much time myself I'm working as a graphics designer for a new game too.
                        It would be nice if you would just ask the original author of it is ok if we include it in freeciv under the GPL.

Comment

Working...
                        X