Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map/scenario editor

So why don't you make one for us?

Wouldn't developing a proper FreeCiv script language (that's well documented) with some test scenarios (like WW2 and Rome in the orginal Civ2) be a better step at this point?

Most scenario designers are not programmers but they become master artists and artisans with the right tools at hand. From what I've seen at the moment FreeCiv doesn't have those tools. If you want to know what those scenario makers can do check out the HS-Scenario League. After 3-4 years they have reached the very limit of what they can do with the Civ2 engine and its various releases. These guys even discuss HEX-editing the savegames to get the last drop of editing efforts!

I'm going to state a goal that should be aimed for if someone (or more) decides to develop scenario tools for FreeCiv : One should be able to design and play a FreeCiv version of RED FRONT with all the rules, sounds, graphics and scripts.

Tall order? perhaps...but we have to start somewhere
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CapTVK on 05-20-2000 06:01 PM
      Wouldn't developing a proper FreeCiv script language (that's well documented) with some test scenarios (like WW2 and Rome in the orginal Civ2) be a better step at this point?

Most scenario designers are not programmers but they become master artists and artisans with the right tools at hand. From what I've seen at the moment FreeCiv doesn't have those tools. If you want to know what those scenario makers can do check out the HS-Scenario League. After 3-4 years they have reached the very limit of what they can do with the Civ2 engine and its various releases. These guys even discuss HEX-editing the savegames to get the last drop of editing efforts!

I'm going to state a goal that should be aimed for if someone (or more) decides to develop scenario tools for FreeCiv : One should be able to design and play a FreeCiv version of RED FRONT with all the rules, sounds, graphics and scripts.

Tall order? perhaps...but we have to start somewhere

Another kind of art in the future of Freeciv is the creating of custom AI-client scripts. This is at least as interesting as Scenario editing! This is an official goal of the freeciv team (http://www.freeciv.org/todo.html) and I really look forward to letting my AI compete against others AIs! Maybe I will try some genetic programming with it.

Comment

Map/scenario editor

Well, there isn't one. But I think it would be relatively wasy to make one. Good place to start if you want to code freeciv.

Just
        -Take 1 gtk client. Remove the parts you don't need. Add a few dialogs for chosing tile and unit type and change the map onclick event accordingly. You should make a new subdirectory under client/ for it.
        -Move the code to save maps in the server to common/ to be available to the client, and it would be ready to use.
        -Put in the oven until... oh wait...

I think it really is that easy, and it would be very practical.
        http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

quote:

Just
          -Take 1 gtk client. Remove the parts you don't need. Add a few dialogs for chosing tile and unit type and change the map onclick event accordingly. You should make a new subdirectory under client/ for it.

That would mean separate upkeep work for gtk client and map editor Better to keep it as part of client.

quote:

-Move the code to save maps in the server to common/ to be available to the client, and it would be ready to use.

Ruleset parsing is also required, map generator would be nice too and...

Well, since freeciv uses both client and server, why our map editor should be worse

I wanted to test this and it took about 5 minutes to create 'working' map editor. It even allows upto 30 humans to edit map simultaneously.

Comment

LOL!

Will you be developing this further, or was it just a wild experiment that will lead nowhere?

Comment

Actually I already started. I cut a little down on the duplication by including object files from the client and server where possible.

If you want to see what I have got so far look at http://hjem.get2net.dk/thue_janus_kr...world.diff.bz2
              (apply it and "autoconf && automake && make")

Actually it turned out that someone had made a map editor before, but it had to compile with 1.8.1 and was completely impossible to update. But bit of the code in my creation is stolen from it.
              http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Very intresting, but unfortunately I'm off my Linux box right now, so I can't give your diff a shot. Could do you go through the trouble of geting us some screenshots maby?

Comment

There is not much to be seen on a hypothetical screenshots; a client with a popup tool panel with commands
                  -paint tile
                  -paint rectangle
                  -copy
                  -paste
                  -undo
                  These currently only work for terrain and specials (including things like irrigation)

Rulesets are loading via the ruleset.o file from the server. The savegame.o file is linked in, but not used yet (ie you cannot save what you made in this great editor ).

dummy functions have been made to be able to link the files in; much code like network code has been removed.
                  Unit and city code has not been removed, though it will need to be changed to work for a scenario editor (which is why I didn't think it was appropriate to make it part of the client)
                  [This message has been edited by Thue (edited July 28, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Will you be developing this further, or was it just a wild experiment that will lead nowhere?

It was just a wild experiment. Sadly, more I look at it, more I like it.

I can stop myself from coding it any further, I can.

Now if I just steal some code from thue...

Comment

quote:

Actually it turned out that someone had made a map editor before, but it had to compile with 1.8.1 and was completely impossible to update.

Yeah, I tried CivWorld about an year ago. It took whole night to make it even compile (just a couple of months after its maintaining was dropped!). That proved to me that client and map editor must have very close relationship.

[This message has been edited by Caz (edited July 28, 2000).]

Comment

It now saves basic maps . Loading maps should work shortly.

Comment

I plan to get the editor into CVS; *PUF* people will automatically keep it up to date when doing other changes.

I did take a look at all the possibilities before deciding on a stand alone editor. The result was that if I wanted to be able to change things like the city dialog I had to fork the code. (that goes for interfaces all over the client)

Please help me make this version instead of forking; it will be too much work for one person to do, and making two version will be wasted effort. We can set up a CVS server for it.

Comment

quote:

people will automatically

People are automation?

quote:

The result was that if I wanted to be able to change things like the city dialog I had to fork the code. (that goes for interfaces all over the client)

If you say so. I thought there's quite clean ways of doing it, but then again I have not considered it thoroughly (just got one crazy idea and tested it).

quote:

Please help me make this version instead of forking; it will be too much work for one person to do, and making two version will be wasted effort. We can set up a CVS server for it.

Currently my freeciv time is spent on some rather big patches (and hopefully to actual playing soon again). Maybe when I have finished reqgen patch...

Comment

quote:

people will automatically
                              People are automation?

At least it will always compile. That was the problem with civworld.

quote:

The result was that if I wanted to be able to change things like the city dialog I had to fork the code. (that goes for interfaces all over the client)
                              If you say so. I thought there's quite clean ways of doing it, but then again I have not considered it thoroughly (just got one crazy idea and tested it).
                              Yes, but the new interfaces will be of complexety comparable to the existing dialogs... At least when you include adding network code and server handling.
                              [This message has been edited by Thue (edited July 29, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X