• Show
Clear All

• So, who here plays FreeCiv?

and what do you think of it?
    I think it is hard...
    Jools Weevil Jr.
    what have you been drinking again jools?-MarkG
    Have a nice ****ing day

Maybe Markos should make (oh yeah, and Dan) a freeciv section. Are there any add ons to the game?
    Jools Weevil Jr.
    what have you been drinking again jools?-MarkG
    Have a nice ****ing day

Comment

Jools-Glad you asked. I've tried playing it, but for some reason my computer won't allow me to get past the (adding players stage). What's the command for this? Also, do you know any way/set-up to make free civ run in Windows 95/98? I couldn't get the unix (?) shells to work...

I'd love to delve more deeply into freeciv...specially since it says up to 14 civs can play...just that the FAQ for users basically had the tone of "we don't care about you windows idiots. Stop whinying...this isn't meant for you."

Any help from anyone would be wildly welcomed...

-KhanMan
      "Pax et decorum"
      Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
      -KhanMan

Comment

Freeciv consists of two programs: the server, which coordinates everything between players and handles the AI, and the client, which human players use to direct the civilization they are playing. To start a single-player Freeciv game under Windows:

1) Start the civserver program -- there should be a start menu entry for this.
        2) Select the game options you want in the server.

The next step depends on which version of Freeciv for Windows you are using.
        If you are using the Windows-native version:
        3) Start the civclient program.
        If you are using the X-win version (most people are, since it is better supported):
        3) Start your X server (XWin32 is a good X server for Windows), and then start civclient.

4) In the dialog box that comes up for connecting to a server, make sure that the "Host" box contains "localhost". Press the "Connect" button.

5) In the civserver, type the word "start". This will start the game.

To start a multiplayer game (the easy way):
        1) Connect to the Internet.
        2) Start your X server (if you are using one) and civclient.
        3) In the dialog box that comes up, click on the "Metaserver" tab and click the "update" button.
        4) To start a new game, select one of the servers that does not have any players on it.
        5) Click the "Connect" button.
        6) Wait until enough other players have joined the game, then type "/start" in the chat text box to start the game.

To join a game someone else is running, do steps 1-3 above.
        4) Select a game from the list that has the status "pregame".
        5) Click the "Connect" button.
        6) Chat with the other players until the game starts.

Mark
        main(i,_){for(!_||(--i,main(i+2,i["FHhhTBFHdhTBFBQT\2TBF&]zRF$hh*:FHhh+&FBIsbDF"]));
        i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_^=_,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Mark -*/

Comment

Mark-A Thousand thanks! I'm off to the freeciv site to download the native version, and play loads of freecivin'!

Thanks!

"Damn the phalanxs, full speed ahead!"
          -KhanMan the paranoid expansionist
          Odin, Thor, and Loki walk into a bar together...
          -KhanMan

Comment

What the hell is freeciv. Is it Civ I? I already have that.

------------------
            Webmaster---Come to the Civworld Forums

"If you cannot beat them, don't join them, instead corrupt them, make them join you, then throw them off a cliff."
            "Those who achieve greatness have backstab to achieve it."

Comment

Freeciv is a freeware game that is similar to Civ II. It is designed to fix many of the problems with Civ II. At its current state, it is good for multiplayer games and scenario design.
              See http://www.freeciv.org for more information.

Mark
              main(i,_){for(!_||(--i,main(i+2,i["FHhhTBFHdhTBFBQT\2TBF&]zRF$hh*:FHhh+&FBIsbDF"]));

Comment

I play it occasionally, have one game running on my Linux box right now. It's pretty good, and continues to improve for each version. My main problem: I've grown used to CivII deity play (and OCC). That strategy won't work on FreeCiv. Expansion is way more important, while riot control is easier (I spend too many shields on warriors and temples early on).
                AI is good, but doesn't handle diplomacy (yet). While it's designed for MP (last CVS version allows up to 126 players, IIRC), I think it still lacks the macro-management and UI to allow fast game play.
                I would recommend setting up a Linux box (or an Amiga) for playing FreeCiv. All development is done on Unix, and I haven't heard much good about the Windows versions. A java version is in the works, that might be more promising than a native windows compile.

C.

Comment

I have a problem with it, Mark, i betcha you could answer it.
                  I use GNOME, and I can't save any of my games. A simple "couldn't save bla bla" message comes up in the server shell. Any tips?

------------------
                  my ass suffers from...amnesia
                  my ass suffers from...amnesia

Comment

The only thing I can think of is to make sure that you have permission to save files in the directory you are trying to save to.

Mark

Comment

I took a look at it on my Linux machine once, but didn't play around with it too much. Guess I am just too used to the other interface.
                      Visit the Civ/SMAC Seti Teams stats!

Comment

bump - just discovered these were here (but had timed out of my display so I've fixed it by bumping!
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by catullus on 03-20-2000 03:48 AM
                          I play it occasionally, have one game running on my Linux box right now. It's pretty good, and continues to improve for each version. My main problem: I've grown used to CivII deity play (and OCC). That strategy won't work on FreeCiv. Expansion is way more important, while riot control is easier (I spend too many shields on warriors and temples early on).
                          AI is good, but doesn't handle diplomacy (yet). While it's designed for MP (last CVS version allows up to 126 players, IIRC), I think it still lacks the macro-management and UI to allow fast game play.
                          I would recommend setting up a Linux box (or an Amiga) for playing FreeCiv. All development is done on Unix, and I haven't heard much good about the Windows versions. A java version is in the works, that might be more promising than a native windows compile.

C.

Actually the patch to allow up to 126 players never got into CVS, because it didn't work properly I think
                          But just 2 days ago I checked in the patch to raise the number from 14 to 30. (that number is limited by the lenght of a player bitvector, ie 32. The last 2 players are reserved for barbarians)
                          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

I've played it on Linux but I'm playtesting the windows version now.(CVS ver 1.10.1) Yes Thue, Fog of War IS installed and activated!
                            At the moment I recommend the use of the demoversion of X-win32 for the X-server. It's a snap to install and you can use it for 2 hours without any hassle.
                            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

And I recomment linux mandrake; it's a snap to install and it works for many more hours than windows
                              http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Working...
                              X