Freeciv server aborts with error in Win98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeciv server aborts with error in Win98

I know, I'm supposed to be running Linux. But I have to run Windows for work.

So, I followed instructions, downloaded X-Win32 and Freeciv 1.10. When I try to run the server (either from the Win98 start menu or from a DOS window), it runs for a while, tries to go out on the internet (even though I removed the -m option), and then aborts with this message:

0: setsockopt failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
    0: bind failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket

Any suggestions?

http://www.freeciv.org/windows.html is the place to check for freeciv on windows. But it doesn't seem like there is anything relevant there.
    Sometimes, if you think there is a problem with freeciv itself (I don't think that is the case here), you can send a mail to freeciv-dev@freeciv.org . This problem might be better suited for freeciv@freeciv.org

Why do you think it tries to go out on the internet?
    Freeciv always runs over network, even if you only play on a local computer. (how the client and server talks together). I would think from your error message that networking was not set up properly on your computer.

On running windows: A deadly sinn! No, just don't tell a group of linux users that when a program doesn't work for windows they should port it, for the reason that windows is the only important platform, and expect to get away with it
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

I'm not sure I understan you right. You mean civserver tries to contact the metaserver on its own, without prompting? It shouldn't do that. Then again, one never knows about Windows... Did you run civclient before or after you started civserver? And exactly what command did you use to launch civserver?

Comment

Does anyone know wether the Windows XWin32 port of Freeciv is optimized for NT or 9X families? Because NT takes all kinds of networking stuff much more granted than Win98. Win98 might be marketed as an easy-to-network os, but it really doesn't like al kinds of services running on it at all, especially if its just for intrasystem use.

DaveV, as Thue already suggested, I recomend you check your networking settings from the control panel.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Kumiorava on 05-18-2000 05:58 PM
          I'm not sure I understan you right. You mean civserver tries to contact the metaserver on its own, without prompting? It shouldn't do that. Then again, one never knows about Windows... Did you run civclient before or after you started civserver? And exactly what command did you use to launch civserver?

We just agreed not to bash windows . Freeciv on linux ctually automatically contacted the metaserver up until version 1.8 (I guess cause up till then the AI wasn't ready for single player games)

http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Thue on 05-18-2000 06:25 PM
            We just agreed not to bash windows .

Well, look who's talking! Do I remember hearing something about Windows and a deadly sin? OK, let's end all bashing.

The Windows port is 1.10, so auto-meta should no longer be a problem, unless thay added it again while porting, which I doubt. I think the source of DaveV's problems lies in his networking settings, or somthing else that effects intrasystem server-client communications.

Well, that didn't sound very helpfull at all, did it?

Comment

See my post in "Freeciv Forum" topic (p.2) about how to check if your network is set up.

Hope it helps.

Moses

Comment

No slams at unix/linux intended. I realize this is a volunteer effort and people work on what interests them. I also know that some people have Freeciv running under Windows and was hoping for some help in achieving the same results.

Additional info: I tried 3 different ways to run Freeciv.
                1) From Win98 Start menu: Freeciv (do not announce game on metaserver)
                2) From DOS prompt: servn.bat in \Program Files\Freeciv
                3) From DOS prompt: civservr (in same directory)

All of these attempts failed with the error messages I quoted in my first post. I never got as far as starting the client.

Comment

Have you tried this window version of FreeCiv? Look for the freeciv zip at: http://www2.msstate.edu/~mhp1/

Running this version is simple. Unzip it into a directory and run the batch files (civ.bat and serv.bat). Type serv -f [savegame] from a dosbox if you want to reload a savegame.

This version ran without a hitch with X-Win32 on my NT system (only tcp/ip services installed as network protocol). I can't really say anything about Win98 but it should work.
                  Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

CapTVK - thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, when I downloaded that program, it gives very similar behavior:

0: SO_REUSEADDR failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket
                    0: bind failed: The descriptor is a file, not a socket

Apparently, Freeciv is not for me. Sigh...

(Please, don't anybody take offense at this. I thought Freeciv sounded cool and wanted to try it. For reasons of my own, I don't want to install Linux. End of story.)

Comment

I had the same problem Dave with same error message, I asked same questions with same response too... Finally I found that their is also a download avaialble for a Windows version at the same location you got the X-Server version... I have managed to load that version and even started one game, unfortunaltey the graphics not yet up to Civ 2 standards but for a free game it sure kicks butt....

Comment

Working...
                      X