An Isometric map in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Isometric map in the future?

Civ II operates on an isometric system, will this ever be implemented in Freeciv?

Is there any real need for it? It might look prittier, but it realy doesn't effect gameplay, does it now? Well, maby movement a bit, and the shape of the city radii, but that's pretty much it, no?

Comment

It doesn't affect the shape of the city radius.
      We have a GPL'ed set of isometric tiles already, just a point of someone implementing the engine.
      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Intresting! So I guess we're gonna get an isometric view then... I don't mind.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Kumiorava on 05-11-2000 01:09 PM
          Intresting! So I guess we're gonna get an isometric view then... I don't mind.

Just because people want it doesn't automatically mean someone is going to program it.
          --
          Paul Zastoupil

Comment

I know that, but since there already is an existing tileset, as you said, and since people seem to want to go for ismometric, it should only be a matter of time until someone implements it into the code. However, an isometrc map is not included in the To-Do list. I figure it's not that urgent, but it might be a good idea to ad it anyway...

But how about taking the map concept to new hights: How does a hex based map sound like to you guys? I saw some preliminary shots of the openciv3 map model, and it seems like thay are going to be using hex.

Comment

Regarding freeciv and Hex map, see this thread: http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-.../msg00124.html
              --
              Paul Zastoupil

Comment

paulz, you should become a librarian!

That Aerth seems very promising, if one could only get hands on the source. A 3D map would deffenitely be something new in the Civ genre. It would mean quite a bit of re-writing in terms of rules and AI, though, as well as the terrain generator and engine of course.

Comment

Well I just think top-down maps are quite hideous. They add no idea of a more 3-d perspective, and I thought that isometric would bring the project closer to a modern civ.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarthVeda on 05-11-2000 05:06 PM
                    Well I just think top-down maps are quite hideous. They add no idea of a more 3-d perspective, and I thought that isometric would bring the project closer to a modern civ.

Since there is no 3-D in freeciv (or any of the other Civ games IIRC), the game is played in 2-D, so the current view is IMO easier to play with and understand. Beauty has never been a primary goal with the Freeciv project.
                    --
                    Paul Zastoupil

Comment

And Freeciv certainly beats Civ I in graphics, even with a top-down view.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by paulz on 05-11-2000 05:26 PM
                        Beauty has never been a primary goal with the Freeciv project.

While that is true there certainly are developers that care about beauty... I expect that there will be some version with (optional) isometric view sometime in the future... Depending on how much free time we get...

Comment

FYI http://www.freeciv.org/poll.phtml?num=32
                          --
                          Paul Zastoupil

Comment

That openciv3 for Windows is really puting up some competition: They are implementing a 3D map. Can't mach Freeciv in gameplay yet, though.
                            Go take a look at the "Competition" thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X