Clear All

• Warning--Trojan Horse

Right after I downloaded and installed

It has been non stop

DO NOT DOWN LOAD

THANKS FOR THE HEADACHE OF GETTING RID OF IT
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

I've seen these "troajn horse" alarms before. Rest assured, there isn't one. Sounds like a false positive by the virus/port scanner.
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

FYI

not when i found it using Webroot Spy Sweeper

Comment

If you really believe it's a trojan you should get in contact with some of the developers at this thread. Try to give as much details as possible:

Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

will do

thanks for the link

Comment

I tried installing webroot spy sweeper and ran it over both versions of Freeciv for windows, and got no warnings.

Can you please post the exact message you get from Webroot and where you downloaded your version of Freeciv from and which file it is?

I know there is an issue with Norton Antivirus, which stupidly suggests that any program that uses port 5555 is a Trojan. This might also be the case with Webroot, but since I could not reproduce this, they may have fixed it.

Comment

I agree it is probably Norton Anti Virus or Firewall.

The message was from Norton I believe, asking if I wanted to know the source. Webroot was used to remove.

I never wrote down the whole message, and It happened days ago

Comment

Um... where did you obtain your copy from?

The developers won't have much to offer if you downloaded FreeCiv from some other site than theirs.

I have FreeCiv installed on several machines and my company detects a lot of viruses on a lot of machines - but never have we found one in FreeCiv.
                impeach, impeach, impeach, impeach...
                (this time it's about more than just cigar tubes!)

Comment

Norton Anti-virus 2005

This is the warning I get from Norton AV 2005:

Rule "Default Block SERV-Me Trojan horse" stealthed (localhost,5555).
                  Inbound TCP connection.
                  Local address,service is (0.0.0.0,5555).
                  Remote address,service is (localhost,2278).
                  Process name is "D:\Program Files\Freeciv-2.0.4-gtk2\civserver.exe".

Ideas?

Comment

It means that norton has detected civserver.exe using port 5555. Port 5555 is freecivs standard port but also the standard port for many trojans so norton will list any app using that port as a possible threat.

You got two options:
                    1) Open port 5555 in your firewall
                    2) Make freeciv use another port.
                    Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

How do you make Freeciv use a different port? I get the same error message from Norton and I don't want to open 5555.

Comment

Eh, don't remember how but it should be in the manuals somewhere...

Maybe you start it like this "freeciv -p:5556"?
                        Oh well, that was indeed a shot in the dark but I did it on an earlier version (1.3ish?) and it wasn't that hard

Had to do it because my backup software (hp ommniback) used that port...
                        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Working...
                        X