Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arg list too long

hi
    I installed freeciv 1.14.1 under win2000 but i cannot start locally. I always get the message: Arg list too long .

How can i solve this ?

thnx Paul

You have to give us more information than that.

How are you executing the program?

Which parameters are you giving in?

etc
    We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

through startmenu freeciv freecivclient.
      like i did with 1.14.0

so just as i comes out of the exe

Comment

Hmm, you could check what the menu-entry actually execute. It may have a messed up syntax or somthing. Post it here.

Have you tried starting it "manually" from the command line? (open up a Dos shell)

Comment

"C:\Program Files\Freeciv\civclient.exe"

If i try it from explorer window it gives the same result

if i try it by opening a doswindow (cmd) , goto freeciv dir and type civclient. I get the following (OS)message :
          the dynamic link library iconv.dll could not be found in de specified path.

So any idea's ?

Comment

Not really, sorry

I don't use Windows, and it works for me in GNU/Linux.

I was wondering if "Arg list too long" referred to command line arguments given in, but as I see from what you post, there are no arguments given at all.

Sound like you are missing a dll-file, but in an older thread I noticed that Per suggested to delete that same file to make an earlier version work...

Per, what is going on here?

Comment

although i didn't need to in the prev version: Do i need to start the server to be able to play ?

paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul67
                although i didn't need to in the prev version: Do i need to start the server to be able to play ?

paul
                Yes

Comment

so the automatic start of the server is no more ?

Comment

Ah sorry, I misinterpreted your question. You will of course always have to run the server to play, but if it's started automaticly or not I don't know. If that feature was there before, I don't see any reason that it would have been removed from this version.

Comment

Which version of 1.14.1 for windows did you use? There are two - the native and the gtk2 version. What version of gtk did you install? GTK should have iconv. I don't understand why you would get that argv error.

Comment

I use gtk2 version.
                        I start the civclient without starting the civserver first.
                        Then when i choose connect i get the arg too long message

Comment

update

when i start civserver first, i get in civclient "arg list too long" and the civserver quits.

so what's wrong ?

i use win2000
                          have gtk+ installed
                          have a pentium 3 650MHZ

Comment

Ignore the error message.

For those who know C : The code is borked in that place. It checks the value of 'errno' to determine the network error message string using 'strerror'. But that only works on UNIX/BSD, Winsock uses an alternate way of reporting errors. Microsoft in their wisdom (ahem) decided to make their own standard as usual.

In plain English: Ignore the error message. The most likely cause for the error is due to a failure to find the server (you cannot connect to it, it may even not be up at all).
                            Last edited by Vasc; December 21, 2003, 18:21.

Comment

Working...
                            X