Advancing, Technologically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advancing, Technologically

Okay, two points right up front. I play solitaire, and my idea of a good time is _not_ running around the map wiping out all vestiges of other civs.

I much prefer the steady tech advance, culminating in a spaceship to AC.

And of course, having a sufficient military strength to fight off whatever number of AIs I call up.

With Civ II, I was well onto being able to do just this, winning more often than losing. (I'd still be playing Civ II but for some strange thing that went wrong, causing all city names to refuse to print, or come up as square blocks. This endured through numerous reinstalls, and a couple of Computer changes.)

Now on Linux, I discover that the old original Freeciv, once a raging "destroy 'em all" game, has eased up(in 1.14), allowing some diplomacy, and a lot of trading. So I've gone for it.

Unfortunately,what I can recall of my old Civ II strategy for winning the Space Race does not work.

I put up my cities, as much as possible, on, or next to irrigated fields, preferably with two whales offshore, or a Whale and a fish, or just the Whale or the fish.

I head for Monarchy first, to gain the benefit of increased production, and I've tried varioius next steps, Trade right away, Bridge Building right away, Triremes right away, and still I find myself working along in 1300 A.D. with an army consisting of phalanxes, and some nasty AI coming after me with muskets.

I've read the Manual section on Technology , without getting any the wiser.

Obviously, I'm not quite doing something right, or doing something wrong.

Anybody got any hints?

Thanks,

Jim

The only strategy I have found working in freeciv is having an insane amount of cities, which is just so boring. Hopefully the introduction of diplomacy will make other strategies more viable.

I find it much more fun to have a handfull of well developed cities than a big heap of small cities.

But never mind me, I'm probably doing something wrong
    We are the apt, you will be packaged.

Comment

Build more cities, go for Republic instead of Monarchy (if you do not go to war early), and build even more cities.

Unfortunately, Freeciv suffers the same strategic problem Civ2 does: building an endless stream of tiny cities is the most viable strategy. Unlike the Civ2 AI, the Freeciv AI understands this, and that is why it kicks your ass.

This is planned to be addressed in the 1.15.0 release so that 'big cities' strategies become more viable.

Comment

Originally posted by Per
        Unfortunately, Freeciv suffers the same strategic problem Civ2 does: building an endless stream of tiny cities is the most viable strategy. Unlike the Civ2 AI, the Freeciv AI understands this, and that is why it kicks your ass.

This is planned to be addressed in the 1.15.0 release so that 'big cities' strategies become more viable.
        Yeah, it's the same in civ2 also. Great that work is being done to remedy this

Comment

Glad to hear you're addressing that, Per

I usually just spend the first thousand years or so doing this:

- Research goals: republic, gunpowder, economics
          - Build pyramids, Adam Smith's Trading Company
          - In each city, build settler, unit, library, etc.

Quickly expand, reach republic and you should be able to keep up with them. I find those wonders handy to grow faster and keep my empire cheap so I can buy a lot.

Comment

Are there any options one can set to make the AI less aggresive in this aspect, thus making it possible to have fewer cities yourself without getting your ass kicked by the AI?

Comment

Yes, 'easy' difficulty. In CVS HEAD/1.15.0 you can also make it 'novice' difficulty.

Comment

i have a question about technologies as well.

I have never played civ2, so i am very new to it.

I will start of and try to research new things but about 600 ad rolls around and i still don't have anything researched.

Should I have more scientists? Increase the science tax? or where is the manual?

Comment

You need trade to get research. Check your taxes, too.

Manual is here: http://www.freeciv.org/manual/

Comment

thanks. this helps.

now i need to play on maps were i am not stuck on an island.

Comment

Working...
                    X