Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Unit Flag Ideas for Modders

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but I'm a long time modder who is getting into freeciv. I've started a rewrite of the Freeciv code to make "G-Civ" (G, as in Gundam). G-Civ would/will be a stand alone version of Freeciv, with no Wonders, fewer buildings, and a reduced importance on research. In short, its more like a game of Axis and Allies.

G-civ is intended for player vs player. The ai isin't going to be changed much.

However, some of the ideas I came up with may be things the Freeciv community may want to include, as a reason for more of the modding community to jump in.

1. Amphibious Flag: when true, land units are capable of traversing ocean tiles. In water, they need the Marine flag to attack. Amphib units can only have land flags, except for trireme, which they can have, and as a game balance thing, they should have. Parachute is not a good idea also, because I haven't tested if that would work.

Example of amphibious unit: MSM-07 Gogg (1st Gundam & 0080)

2. Air and Heli Carriers, Missile Carriers, and Transports
    Self explanitory. Here is how it works:
    Air Transport: Load / Unload at valid landing areas
    Air Carrier: Load / Unload anywhere
    Heli Transport: Load / Unload anywhere on land

(Lots of Code for next one)
    Hover Ship: Unlim fuel, carry all, deploy recover anywhere

Air Transport example: Medea Transport Plane
    Air Carrier example: Gaw Transport
    Heli Transport: Gunperry

Hover Ship: White Base

If there is any interest to include these in the normal Freeciv, I can submit my changes to the cvs once I finish testing.

Christopher Scott Verlo
    Sophomore, Computer Science
    Iowa State University

I think that for amphibious units that act similar to how they would in the real world ther needs to be a seperation of coastal shelf ocean tiles and deep ocean tiles. With that said, amphibious units would be able to move around on the coastal shelf but unable to cross deep ocean.

The air carrier should only be able to load/unload air/missile units at airbases/cities.

Other flags that should be added to make things more realistic are land_fast and air_fast which would work similarily to boat_fast.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

Working...
    X