The revised Diplomacy Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Loverix
    When you create a state, you also get to decide on what treaties will exist between that state and you. That way you can impose favorable tariffs and so on.
    That is certainly a viable suggestion. In fact, I think that ties in nicely into LGJ's idea of having the civs created by the player play different roles - puppet monarchies, vassals, and such. Though we wouldn't technically divide the new-born nations into these categories, you will pretty much be able to control their place in the world through the treaties you institute when creating the new civs. What does everybody else think about this?
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by vovansim
      That is certainly a viable suggestion. In fact, I think that ties in nicely into LGJ's idea of having the civs created by the player play different roles - puppet monarchies, vassals, and such. Though we wouldn't technically divide the new-born nations into these categories, you will pretty much be able to control their place in the world through the treaties you institute when creating the new civs. What does everybody else think about this?
      Well the problem is, most states were borne not by spontaniously saying "okay, you can rule yourself now!", they were generally through wars or slow, gradual process of release of autonomy. There are cases where that did happen (Isreal FE), but those are the exceptions, not the rule.
      Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
      Mitsumi Otohime
      Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord God Jinnai
        Well the problem is, most states were borne not by spontaniously saying "okay, you can rule yourself now!", they were generally through wars or slow, gradual process of release of autonomy. There are cases where that did happen (Isreal FE), but those are the exceptions, not the rule.
        That is very true, also. I wasn't quite sure how this was going to work in the first place, so I might be missing some of the original ideas for this feature. Maybe Mark could contribute to this conversation?
        Spore page

Comment

I think Simon's idea is very good.
          Israel is an example, but I think you could say Australia and Canada are examples too. Whatever revolution happened there if any (I don't know enough history) could be considered as internal struggles, and the Crown decided to let them become inependant states but they would remain in the Commonwealth, so they would still have commercial ties.

I think in the game, you would create these new civs when they are about to revolt and throw you anyway but you want to save as much as you can. That is basically what the British Empire did with its colonies: Seeing that the U.S.A. had severed all ties, they understood they couldn't keep their colonies as they used to be, but had to let them become independant. Creating the Commonwealth provided them some gains and a more favourable attitude from the ex-colonies.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Loverix
            When you create a state, you also get to decide on what treaties will exist between that state and you. That way you can impose favorable tariffs and so on.

This certainly sounds like the way to go to me. Just to make a distinction. . . You control the specifics of that state AT Inception. After that the standard AI behavior takes over.

If you take a people that utterly hate you and have some chance of surviving while defying you, and you make them an independent vassal state via treaties at the start, they will likely quickly change that position. They will use whatever means possible including diplomatic means with other civs, stratighforward abrogation of the treaty, and any other means that seems likely to succeed.
            Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
            Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
              I think Simon's idea is very good.
              Israel is an example, but I think you could say Australia and Canada are examples too. Whatever revolution happened there if any (I don't know enough history) could be considered as internal struggles, and the Crown decided to let them become inependant states but they would remain in the Commonwealth, so they would still have commercial ties.
              I can't say about Australia, but i know Canada wasn't concieved like that. Canada's release was gradual, up until after the end of WW2 in which the British Empire dissolved itself entirely and became the commonwelth.

At first Canada was given control over local province control, then control over all interal affairs, then allowed to make its own treaties, the given dominion status, then finally freed as a seperate country, but allowed to join and leave the British commonwealth freely.

While I think treaties might do for some things, controlling there military directly, which the British Empire was able to do under dominion status, would be beyond treaty aspect because, lets face it, as smart as we make the AI, it can't read your mind.
              Which Love Hina Girl Are You?
              Mitsumi Otohime
              Oh dear! Are you even sure you answered the questions correctly?) Underneath your confused exterior, you hold fast to your certainties and seek to find the truth about the things you don't know. While you may not be brimming with confidence and energy, you are content with who you are and accepting of both your faults and the faults of others. But while those around you love you deep down, they may find your nonchalance somewhat infuriating. Try to put a bit more thought into what you are doing, and be more aware of your surroundings.

Comment

LGJ, in my opinion, the process you describe for Canada is too detailed to be included in the game. I would simply model it as providing the Canada province whatever freedoms they need to be happy with my civ and then making a nerw civ out of them after WW2. The loss of most colonies happened relatively peacefully, but the new civs were created by the ex-colonisalists. Look at a map of Africa for example.
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                  LGJ, in my opinion, the process you describe for Canada is too detailed to be included in the game.
                  That is exactly the reason why I was opposed to the idea of classifying the newly created civs programmatically. But I think that with treaties and with the new civs basically operating as any normal AI civ would, you can pretty much achieve the level of realism as you described, LDiCesare.
                  Spore page

Comment

Hi Vovan:

To try and get some more eyeballs (and hopefully brains ) on this discussion I've added a Diplomacy Model plug to the bottom of my sig (see below). I hope it can get us a little more attention!
                    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Good. Maybe more people will participate now.
                      Spore page

Comment

You might want to do the same thing with your sig Vovan. You get around some places on the forum that I don't go! And we can sure use more comments!

Comment

Done, Mark.

Also, as a note of interest: I have added a bunch of suggestions and clarifications to the document, that have been waiting for a while now. See the Log of Changes for more info.
                          Last edited by vovan; January 19, 2003, 17:13.
                          Spore page

Comment

Just wanted to point out that for the convenience of the newcomers to Clash, a new section has replaced the original foreword. The Summary presents all the concepts of the diplomatic model in a distilled fashion, so that the people do not have to read through the whole thing in order to know what's going on.
                            Spore page

Comment

Re: The revised Diplomacy Model

OK, guys, you invited comments on having read the abstract only, so you know whom to blame for points being raised that are adequately covered somewhere else, right?

That said, here are some random thoughts:

Summary
                            • There will be no diplomatic units in the game. In other words, the spies and ambassadors will not be trained the same way as military units are.
                            Glorious. Spying and diplomacy abstracted is one of the few things Civ3 did right - oh, the broke the model over other issues, but the basic notion is right. The player should not need to ever MM individual spy units and missions any more than she should have to painstakingly build every piddling little building in every last city.
                          • The diplomatic options will include:
                            • Creating new civilizations
                            • Trading with other nations
                            • Signing treaties
                            • Making demands from other nations
                            • Protesting treaty violations
                            • Declaring wars
                          • I'm a bit worried by the "protest treaty violations" point. Let's have some treaties being unbreakable w/out decalring a war - for instance, foreign units should not be able to tresspass on my land unless we have an agreeement to that effect, and an AI wanting to send a spearman/settler combo through should have to declare war to do so. No calling the enemy fifteen times each turn to remind them to withdraw their forces.

As for trade, I'd really like that to be abstracted in SMAC faction - we have a trade treaty? great! we both get extra cash then - and not the specific horses for salpeter Civ3 deals, but I guess that depends upon whether you have strategic resources or not. My vote on that, incidentally, would be no.
                            There will be a variety of treaty types. Each treaty will be composed of one or more clause from the following list:
                            • Cash transfers
                            • Trade
                            • Territorial transfers
                            • Technological exchange
                            • Immigration policies
                          • Treaties will not be restricted to two nations
                          • I'm not sure how you handle ethnicity in this game, but let's just say I hope immigrants eventually become your people, unlike in Civ3, where the prudent course of action is always to starve and kill any foreign national lest they trigger a culture reversal two thousand years later. What would the point of immigration be otherwise? Allow your rivaling civ free labour?
                          • In addition to official business, the game will feature a rich variety of intelligence and counterintelligence options:
                            • Gathering demographic information on other countries
                            • Stealing maps
                            • Stealing research information
                            • Bribing units, and inciting revolts in cities and provinces
                            • Assassinating characters
                            • Planting moles in enemy intelligence agencies
                            • And more...
                          • The relations between nations will feature an elaborate system of attitudes, and reputations, where almost every action by the player will result in an adjustment of the view of his or her country on the international arena
                          • I don't like having basic information being a spy mission. It's one thing to gather military data and research, but having to run spy missions to find out what somebody has built in their neighbouring cities and how many people live there always struck me as exceedingly silly. If you have it in, I hope it's SMAC fashion - infiltrate the datalinks once and be done with it.

Another thing I hope is properly balanced is the riot/revolution inciting stuff. Pax Imperia is a game that proved what happened if that was even slightly too easy - after a while, the only tactic was spending all your resources toward rebellions, turning the map into a giant flip-flop arcade simulation as plantes switched allegiance continually. Awful, it was.
                          • Not each and every option will be available to the player all the time, however. For further realism, the following limitations will apply to the choice of diplomatic options:
                            • Technology - one cannot form sophisticated mutual protection pacts in 2000BC
                            • Budget - the less you pay your spies, the less they can sniff out!
                            • Government type – it is very hard to pull off genocide if you are a democracy
                            • Ideology - goes somewhat along the lines of government type - you cannot do nasty things if you rule a society of pacifists.

• Then make sure there's ample reason to choose those governments anyway. The crazy Civ2 system of halting a campaing in the middle of burning war because the senate felt it was time for peace is not a good model to emulate. Civ3 war weariness is better, but still lacks some refinement.
                            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

I don't like having basic information being a spy mission. It's one thing to gather military data and research, but having to run spy missions to find out what somebody has built in their neighbouring cities and how many people live there always struck me as exceedingly silly. If you have it in, I hope it's SMAC fashion - infiltrate the datalinks once and be done with it.
                              Moomin, there are both passive and active information gathering, so most of the trivial stuff should be passive and require no management from the player.

I'm a bit worried by the "protest treaty violations" point. Let's have some treaties being unbreakable w/out decalring a war - for instance, foreign units should not be able to tresspass on my land unless we have an agreeement to that effect, and an AI wanting to send a spearman/settler combo through should have to declare war to do so. No calling the enemy fifteen times each turn to remind them to withdraw their forces.
                              I agree that border trespassing means war, and should mean war. That way the ai wouldn't be a pain moving units near you saying "we're peaceful". However, protesting violation of a treaty like making war with another nation that I am allied to is something I would like to be able to do. Maybe I'd rather threaten than join forces. Maybe I can let my ally fall in exchange of something from the attacker's part (e.g. Italy prevented one Anschluss but not the second one, and thereafter they were quite friendly with the Germans).

Comment

• Working...
                                X